How many device can be connected simultaneously under BLE4.2 and BEL5.0?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
HeLi_2598731
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

Hi Cypress,

Recently we test with lots of modules CYBLE212006-1 and communicated them with iPhone 8 and Samsung GalaxyS9.

As what I learnt from BLE4.x protocol SPEC, when the iPhone/Android phone play as role of BLE central mode, the limitation to have active connection at the same time is up to 8 devices. But from what we observed, iPhone 8 can connect and collect data from our module up to 10 units at the same time!

Is it because both of the cell phone platform did something over SPEC with their on board BLE5 module? Or it's already the common SPEC that I was aware? Kindly have some comment, thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
PradiptaB_11
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi,

There is no limit to the number of simultaneous connections for a BLE device in the Bluetooth Specification document for 4.2 and 5.0 versions. So this limit is actually set by the Physical layer (The controller itself) and limitations of the host OS. So as you say, Iphone may connect to 10 devices but say an android phone may not be able to connect to 10 devices. It is upto the OS also as to how you are using the resources, managing the timings necessary for BLE and also doing other functions also. So overall the entire combination of the hardware and software will decide the limit for your BLE device.

As far as PSoC BLE device is concerned, PSoC 4 will support a single connection while PSoC 6 will support 4 connections.

Thanks,

Pradipta.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
JaOs_4314736
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

Hi,

I have been looking at this myself and so far it appears the PSoC4 BLE devices only support a single channel (connection). This I actually found in the datasheets. The PSoC6 BLE link layer supports four channels.

0 Likes
PradiptaB_11
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi,

There is no limit to the number of simultaneous connections for a BLE device in the Bluetooth Specification document for 4.2 and 5.0 versions. So this limit is actually set by the Physical layer (The controller itself) and limitations of the host OS. So as you say, Iphone may connect to 10 devices but say an android phone may not be able to connect to 10 devices. It is upto the OS also as to how you are using the resources, managing the timings necessary for BLE and also doing other functions also. So overall the entire combination of the hardware and software will decide the limit for your BLE device.

As far as PSoC BLE device is concerned, PSoC 4 will support a single connection while PSoC 6 will support 4 connections.

Thanks,

Pradipta.

0 Likes