Computer not recognizing CY8CKIT-062-BT-WiFi

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
CoCo_1816446
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

I was trying to fix an issue that was preventing me from downloading the program image onto the dev. kit. I was having a problem exactly like the one in this post: PSOC6 - CY8CKIT-062-WIFI-BT Cannot Program using Wiced.​ However, I tried the solution in this article with no luck.

I read in another post (that I can't find now) that said you can upgrade the firmware through PSoC Programmer (shown in the picture below). I upgraded the firmware while in HID mode and then again in BULK mode. After that, I pressed SW4 just to see what would happen. Now my dev. board is no longer recognized by the computer. It doesn't show up in the device manager or in PSoC Programmer.

PSoC Programmer.PNG

Also when I plug it in LED4 turns on but LED2 stays off.

20200701_141453.jpg

EDIT: I should mention I also have a CY8CKIT-062-WIFI-BT (not FRAM) that works fine. I'm able to connect and upload programs no problem.

Additional Info:

IDE: WICED Studio 6.4

PSoC Programmer 3.28.7.4504

Dev. Kit: CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT-FRAM

Message was edited by: Cody Cook

0 Likes
1 Solution
Aditi_B
500 replies posted 5 questions asked 250 replies posted

Hi,

It seems that the bootloader mode isn't working on your board. Bootloader mode works only when there is some version of Kitprog installed. If nothing is downloaded on the P5LP, then we have to program the Kitprog externally through another MiniProg. Probably, the firmware has been deleted or the bootloader image would have gone wrong. I guess the post that you followed to update the firmware would have caused this. So, in this case the board can be programmed externally via MiniProg. Do you have MiniProg? Or, you can procure a MiniProg4 to program your board.

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
Aditi_B

Hi,

Can you please attach the snapshot of your Device Manager?

Thanks

0 Likes

device manager.PNG

The board is plugged in when I took this picture. When it was working the board would show up on COM7 (BULK) or COM8 (HID)

Aditi_B

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the snapshot. Are you aware of fw-loader? You can refer to the following link to know more about it:

GitHub - cypresssemiconductorco/Firmware-loader: A command-line tool to update KitProg low-level pro...

It's fine, if you have this tool already installed in your computer, if not you can download this tool from the following link:

Releases · cypresssemiconductorco/Firmware-loader · GitHub

You can display the list of your connected devices and can get the information of the mode of your connected device using this fw-loader tool. I want you to run some commands of this tool to get more info on the mode of your kit. Can you execute the command fw-loader --device-list and attach the snapshot for the same? This command is also listed in the first link that I shared.

Thanks

Here is a screenshot from my CY8CKIT-062-WIFI-BT-FRAM board. No matter what I do it always says "No connected devices". I'm starting to wonder if the board might be faulty.

fw-loader.PNG

Edit: Here is a screenshot from my CY8CKIT-062-WIFI-BT board:

fw-loader-working-board.PNG

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Aditi_B

Hi,

Your 2nd snapshot shows a connected device and the mode as Kitprog 3 CMSIS-DAP-HID. Correct me, if I am wrong but I see the device is getting connected. Is your device being recognized?

If the device still isn't recognized, then we need to check the device enumeration. Can you please attach the snapshot of the universal serial bus devices in the device manager after connecting your device? I have added snapshots for your reference where in one of the snapshot my device is in the DAPLINK mode and in the other snapshot , it is in Kitprog 3 CMSIS-DAP-BULK mode.

Thanks

0 Likes

I have two dev kits CY8CKIT-062-WIFI-BT-FRAM (the one that doesn't work) and CY8CKIT-062-WIFI-BT (the one that works). The second screenshot is the dev kit that is working properly. I added screenshots of both devices to show that the issue is most likely the board and not my development environment.

Below is a screenshot from Device Manager when I have the faulty board connected. As you can see the Universal Serial Bus devices section doesn't show up. I have also noticed when I plug in the board I don't hear the sound from windows that lets me know a device has been plugged in. Even though the device is being powered by the USB port the computer doesn't recognize a device is plugged in.

serial bus.PNG

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Aditi_B

Hi,

Yes, I see the Universal Serial Bus devices section doesn't show up. Okay, let's try to figure out that whether it's the hardware issue or the software one. You said that you tried to upgrade the firmware via PSoC programmer and then the computer didn't recognized your board. What may have gone wrong in this process is, if the firmware update didn't happen properly, it might have corrupted the KitProg3 image.

To fix this issue, first we need to put the KitProg3 in the bootloader mode. You can use the fw-loader  tool to do this. Use this command:

--> fw-loader --mode kp3-bootloader (Refer to the attached snapshot "fw-loader")

The KitProg3 enters the bootloader mode. The amber led will flash at 1 Hz.

Then follow these instructions for the programmer:

--> Launch Cypress Programmer. Cypress Programmer automatically updates the KitProg3 firmware. (Refer to the attached snapshot "Cypress Programmer")

OR

--> Launch PSoC Programmer. Update KitProg3 firmware via Utilities > Update firmware option.

This process will override the existing faulty firmware (if in case it's a firmware issue) and upgrade it to new firmware. Can you repeat this process and check whether this is a firmware issue or not?

Link for the Cypress or PSoC Programmer : https://www.cypress.com/products/psoc-programming-solutions

Thanks

Aditi_B

Hi,

If in case you cannot enter the bootloader mode via fw-loader tool, you can enter it via the "Mode switch (S3)" button.

Press the Mode switch while plugging in the kit. The amber led will flash at 1Hz. You can then follow the same instructions for the programmer as given in my previous response.

Thanks

I tried getting the kit into bootloader mode like you suggested. This is the result:

Capture.PNG

I have also tried switching the modes by pressing SW3 however, nothing happens. The lights on the board just look like this:20200701_141453.jpg

0 Likes
Aditi_B

Hi,

It seems that the bootloader mode isn't working on your board. Bootloader mode works only when there is some version of Kitprog installed. If nothing is downloaded on the P5LP, then we have to program the Kitprog externally through another MiniProg. Probably, the firmware has been deleted or the bootloader image would have gone wrong. I guess the post that you followed to update the firmware would have caused this. So, in this case the board can be programmed externally via MiniProg. Do you have MiniProg? Or, you can procure a MiniProg4 to program your board.

Thanks

0 Likes
Aditi_B

Hey Cody,

You can also refer to the following thread for your reference:

Psoc 6 BLUE Pioneer kit CY8CKIT-062-BLE not enumerating on usb .

Thanks

0 Likes

I think I need to reprogram the board with a MiniProg. However, I don't have one and would prefer not to spend $100 for one (https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-002-psoc-miniprog3-program-and-... ). Is there a cheaper way to could fix this?

I am waiting to see if it is possible to send the board to cypress and have them reprogram the board. I will post the results here afterward.

0 Likes