HX3PD Bandwidth Aggregation

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
TiSm_4719881
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking at upgrading my medical imaging device to USB3 Gen2.

We're currently using multiple Gen1 devices, including FX3s, to transfer data along a single USB3 link back to the Host PC.

I've assessed a couple of Gen2 hubs and while some of them seem to be capable of transferring at close to Gen2 speeds on the upstream, this can only be done if a Gen2 device is connected to the downstream. If two FX3 devices are running on the downstream, the upstream bandwidth is still limited to Gen1 speeds resulting in neither FX2 operating correctly. Advice from these hub manufacturers is that they don't aggregate the bandwidth.

What I need is the Gen2 hub to aggregate the bandwidth of multiple Gen1 devices. Does the HX3PD really do this?

Thanks.

Regards,

Tim Smith

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Tim,

HX3PD is USB3.1 Gen2 Hub. If the bandwidth is gate by the Gen1 hub, you could try this one. Otherwise, you should find out the root cause of short of bandwidth at first.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Tim,

HX3PD is USB3.1 Gen2 Hub. If the bandwidth is gate by the Gen1 hub, you could try this one. Otherwise, you should find out the root cause of short of bandwidth at first.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your reply. The Hubs I've been testing are Gen2, not Gen1.

The cause of the bandwidth issue on these hubs is that they do not use the "Store and Forward" architecture of USB3.1 Gen2 to aggregate the traffic from multiple SS devices.

I would like to know if the HX3PD is capable of running multiple SS devices and utilising the full 10 Gbps upstream bandwidth. The datasheet indicates that it has a "router/aggreater engine", and the Store and Forward architecture is mentioned.

Is there any data to indicate that two SS devices, such as an FX3, can simultaneously run at their full SS rate when they are connected to the HX3PD hub?

Thanks.

Regards,

Tim Smith

0 Likes

Hi Tim,

1. Yes. HX3PD is capable of running multiple SS devices and utilising the full 10 Gbps upstream bandwidth.

2. The data is TID of USB-IF which is guarantee the specification of USB-IF.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes