Need Help to Choose the Best Possible Microcontroller for Space Related Project

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
TaDe_4732501
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I need help to choose the best possible 32 bit Micro controller for the Space related project. The initial requirements for the project are as follows :-

(1)  Project Should be RTOS based so controller should support RTOS based features.

(2) Upto 16 Analog and 8 Digital I/O requirements.

(3) Max. Availability of RS232,RS485, SDI-12 Ports, USB Host and OTG Ports.
(4)  Maximum  Flash Size memory availability feature.
(5) Wifi / Bluetooth feature
(6) Inbuilt RTC feature and Frequency / counter input features.
(7) Various data storage options like SD Card, Pen drive etc.
(8) Support for GPS/GPRS Modem.
Can anyone suggest the best possible PSoC or any other category of micro controller which supports and fulfil all the needs or have support for the features mentioned above ??
Any help suggesting the best microcontroller which fulfils all the criteria will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
0 Likes
1 Solution
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi TaDe_4732501

You can check out our PSoC 6 family of devices. Datasheet - https://www.cypress.com/file/385921/download

PSoC 63 supports RTOS configuration (FreeRTOS is implemented as a library), 1MB flash, BLE radio.

You can also check out our CY8CPROTO-062-4343W ​which has a 2MB flash part - CY8C624ABZI-D44 and CYW4343W for both WiFi and BT functionality. This also supports SD card and we have added library for Amazon Free RTOS as well.

The PSoC line does not support USB host or OTG yet as we do not have the host stack developed.

Thanks,
Hari

View solution in original post

7 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

TaDe,

First thing for space application is that controller needs to be rad-hard certified. You should also indicate hi altitude or low altitude application.

/odissey1

0 Likes

Hi BoTa_264741​,

The product isn't going to be deployed in Space. By Space related product I mean the product is used to send and receive data to/from the Satellites with the help of Antennas. 

There is no hard core requirement from us ,of controller being Rad-hard certified as of now. Please, suggest some micro controllers that will fulfil the  criteria mentioned in the 1st comment.

Thanks.

0 Likes

TaDe,

The best suited for those specs would be A7, RaspPi, BeagleBoard or similar high-end controller board. I think that some critical specs are missing, like power budget,  processing speed, dimensions and price.

/odissey1

0 Likes

Hi BoTa_264741​,

As mentioned in the comment above , we are still in the finalising stage of exact requirements. What are your recommendations with regards to the PSoC and FM series controllers means which controllers are suitable to our requirements. Different part numbers of various controllers will help our purpose. Please, do suggest. 

Thanks.

0 Likes

TaDe,

Also consider parts obsolescence. I believe that FM controllers are marked as not for new design.

You haven't mentioned neither real-time capabilities nor high-speed requirements, but, instead, listed a large memory, storage, and advanced interfaces. This is typically not a microcontroller, but a larger processor like RaspPi or BeagleBone. I would check Beagle first as it has pretty much all you asked for and more hardware-oriented than Pi.

/odissey1

0 Likes
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi TaDe_4732501

You can check out our PSoC 6 family of devices. Datasheet - https://www.cypress.com/file/385921/download

PSoC 63 supports RTOS configuration (FreeRTOS is implemented as a library), 1MB flash, BLE radio.

You can also check out our CY8CPROTO-062-4343W ​which has a 2MB flash part - CY8C624ABZI-D44 and CYW4343W for both WiFi and BT functionality. This also supports SD card and we have added library for Amazon Free RTOS as well.

The PSoC line does not support USB host or OTG yet as we do not have the host stack developed.

Thanks,
Hari

Hi AH_96​,

Thanks for your reply. We are yet into finalising stage of  the exact quantitative requirement of the various Analog and Digital I/O's, Serial Ports, Storage and other requirements.

Your suggestion given above is valuable to us. We will keep that in mind. Please also, recommend other series of Cypress controllers like other PSoC series and  FM series micro-controllers which serves our purpose.

Thanks.

0 Likes