What is difference between WICED and Modus Toolbox Bluetooth SDK?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SuJa_4727136
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked First reply posted First like given

I want to use CYW20737 for bluetooth connection.I m getting confused between WICED and Modus Toolbox.

0 Likes
1 Solution
AnjanaM_61
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 5 questions asked

Hi suja_4727136 ,

Its different SDKs. If you go through the release notes , you will get the supported devices info.

CYW20737 is supported on WICED SMART SDK available here :

https://www.cypress.com/products/wiced-software

Thanks & Regards,
Anjana

Other useful references :

WICED Smart User's Guide

WICED SMART FAQ

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AnjanaM_61
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 5 questions asked

Hi suja_4727136 ,

Its different SDKs. If you go through the release notes , you will get the supported devices info.

CYW20737 is supported on WICED SMART SDK available here :

https://www.cypress.com/products/wiced-software

Thanks & Regards,
Anjana

Other useful references :

WICED Smart User's Guide

WICED SMART FAQ

MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

This admittedly can be confusing, so I wanted to clarify here for the benefit of everyone that may have the same question.

These two spaces point to the same WICED WWD-based (underlying driver) SDK, which supports both WiFi and Bluetooth today (WICED Studio Wi-Fi/Combo Docs & Downloads😞

WICED Studio Bluetooth

CYW20706

CYW20819

CYW20719B1

CYW20735

Certified non-PSOC BT Modules based on the silicon above

WICED Studio Wi-Fi/Combo

BT

CYW20706

CYW20819

CYW20719B1

CYW20735

Certified non-PSOC BT Modules based on the silicon above

WiFi and WiFi/Combo:

With STM32F:

CYW43362

CYW43364

CYW4343W/CYW43438

CYW43340

With onboard Cortex R4

CYW43907/CYW54907

The following is another version of the WICED development flow which supports the CYW20732/20736 and 20737 ONLY: WICED Smart Docs & Downloads

-Note here that the 20732 uses version 1.x while the 20736/37 use version 2.x (different firmware in each device, so the SDKs are not interchangeable).

-The CYW20732/6/7 is not supported within ModusToolbox Bluetooth SDK

In addition, there was an early version of the WICED "SmartReady" SDK which supported only the CYW20706/07.  That version was released to a few early adopters only as the same functionality was eventually migrated into WICED Studio.

Above comprises our legacy SW offering.

WICED Studio will continue to be supported on the WiFi/Combo side with patches and security fixes. The Bluetooth functionality within WICED Studio will migrate (has migrated) to the ModusToolbox Bluetooth SDK. The most recent version of the WICED Smart SDK was released in 2016 and there are no plans to release new versions of this SDK.

Moving forward, our Cortex M-Class development flow will be ModusToolbox based using WHD (underlying driver):

Bluetooth

ModusToolbox Bluetooth SDK

Bluetooth SDK 2.6 Technical Brief​ (lists chips and development platforms)

WiFi/Combo with PSoC 6 host:

ModusToolbox Mbed SDK

ModusToolbox AnyCloud SDK

ModusToolbox AWS IoT SDK

Again, the discussion above is M-Class based.  We will also continue to support Cortex A class processors with our FMAC Linux based driver, which is available here: Wi-Fi/Bluetooth for Linux .

1. Thanks MichaelF_56 for the elaborated reply.

As you said "The Bluetooth functionality within WICED Studio will migrate (has migrated) to the ModusToolbox Bluetooth SDK.",  So I will go with code development in ModusToolbox. Thanks for that clarification.

2. I m not able to open TEST ModusToolbox Bluetooth SDK link, it takes me to a page which says "Unauthorized".

3. There is no mention of CYW20737 or its development board BCM92073X_LE_TAG4 in Bluetooth SDK 2.6 Technical Brief

0 Likes

Hi SuJa_4727136 ,

Only WICED studio chips are migrated to Modus.

CYW20737 is not supported in WICED Studio or Modus. It is only supported in WICED Smart SDK.

Regards,

Anjana

0 Likes

Thank you AnjanaM_61​ for the direct answer, I required this specific clarification.

0 Likes

The fixed the broken link above.

0 Likes