FM28V100-TG / SEU, MBU Susceptibility

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RoAD_4720846
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm looking for some information about the SEU/MBU rate of the NV RAM FM28V100-TG.

I found an application note, AN15979, describing that for NV RAM, MBU is "virtually impossible" due to the way the memory is architected.But this document is not referenced in the Application Note of the Memory (cf. page https://www.cypress.com/part/fm28v100-tg ) so I would like to be sure that the Application note is applicable to this memory

Concerning SEU, I do not found information allowing me to calculate the rate. If there is somewhere some test results, or some data about the FM28V100-TG cross section, it would be extremely usefull !

In a general way, any information on the subject will be interesting

Thanks,

Romain

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
PradiptaB_11
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi Romain,

The AN 15979 is not applicable to FRAM memory products like FM28V100-TG. The non volatile SRAM memory and FRAM memory are two different branches of memory chips under Non volatile memory portfolio. FRAM uses crystal polarization instead of charge to store data and hence the above app note is not applicable to the FRAM parts. I am attaching a SER report for our FRAM devices. You can go through this and find more details for the SEU susceptibility.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
PradiptaB_11
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi Romain,

The AN 15979 is not applicable to FRAM memory products like FM28V100-TG. The non volatile SRAM memory and FRAM memory are two different branches of memory chips under Non volatile memory portfolio. FRAM uses crystal polarization instead of charge to store data and hence the above app note is not applicable to the FRAM parts. I am attaching a SER report for our FRAM devices. You can go through this and find more details for the SEU susceptibility.

0 Likes

Hi !

And thanks for your answer and the attached documents, really helpful (and interesting for the "technology brief")

I have two remaining question (sorry for that, I'm far from an expert in this subject ).

- In the table and per line, we have SBU=0, MBU=0 and No SEL but the SER not equal to 0. Is there a relation linking some of these parameter or are they independent ?

- I see that the value are at NY city altitude (so I guess 14 neutrons/cm2/hr). I'm in particular interested in the MBU rate but from this value, could we make some conclusions about the rate considering a flux of 6000 neutrons/cm2/hr (or should I work with SER with for example 0.73*6000/14 (cross product) ?)

- What are in the table U3, U7 and U8 (sorry by advance if the question is not clever )

Thanks again for your answer !

Romain

0 Likes

Hi Romain,

I suggest you to read the below document. (Page 1 to 3) It will provide you a good understanding for the terms and their relations if any. ( Even i am not an expert in this field )

https://www.cypress.com/file/141291/download

You can calculate the theoretical SER rate by using the unitary method as you used in the above post.

U3, U7 and U8 represent different units that were tested.  ( This question actually got me thinking at first )

Thanks,

Pradipta.

0 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for the document and for the info. It helps !

Romain

0 Likes