update manager

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
wwfeldman
Level 3
Level 3
First like received Welcome!

Hello

when the update manger pops up, or if i open it, there is a list of installed software.

right now, there are:

5 versions of the Peripheral Driver Library, 3.0.1, 3.0.3, 3.0.4, 3.1.0, and 3.1.1 (download)

2 versions of PSoC Creator, 4.2 and 4.3 (download)

1 version of PSoC Programmer 3.28.5 (update)

1 version of CY8CKIT-059 PSoC 5LP Prototyping Kit 1.0 Rev *A

i cannot find the memo, so:

1) do i need all 5 version of the Peripheral Driver Library?

if not, what is the best way to safely remove prior version and all of their parts?

and all the registry connections they make that would be extraneous after removal?

2) what happens when i click the update button for PSoC programmer

i think its safe to say it updates, but what happens to the old version?

does it get removed? do i have to remove it? is it safe to remove it?

3) what does the configure button do?

why is the configure button live for all of the installed software?

4) when i click on the microsoft flag and expand the cypress section,

there are several things that look like duplication(s), such as:

4 API Reference Documentation

4 PDL Release Notes

4 User Guides

plus one each of a bunch of stuff

my question here is what do i need, what can i get rid of, (safely, etc)

does cypress provide a clean up of cypress software, so that the

duplicates and out of dates, and etc can be easily cleaned up?

and i guess one other thing, when i do an update, can i make the update process

include removal of old stuff, assuming it isn't needed anymore?

thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

It is totally your choice because the Peripheral Driver Library (PDL) versions install in parallel and do not remove their older counterparts. Most of the code examples we provide mostly require a minimum for PDL 3.1.0, so I would suggest downloading all the versions from 3.1.0 onwards. This will ensure that the code examples run out of the box for you without any modifications. However, note that you could just have the latest 3.1.2 version if you do not want any older versions.

if not, what is the best way to safely remove prior version and all of their parts?

and all the registry connections they make that would be extraneous after removal?

PDL installs in parallel with the older versions. So, you need not remove it. But in case you want to, you can make use of the "Uninstall" option in Update Manager to safely delete that version. That will safely delete the registry connections as well.

2) what happens when i click the update button for PSoC programmer. I think its safe to say it updates, but what happens to the old version?

In the case of PSoC Programmer, you cannot have multiple versions of it. It uninstalls the previous version and installs the new one. It does this automatically for you when you click "Update" in the Update Manager. You don't have to remove it manually.

Sometimes even though the software is installed, it does not work correctly, it might have files that are corrupted. In those cases, you can use the "Configure" option in Update Manager to repair your install and get the software working again.

4 PDL Release Notes

4 User Guides

Each of the software versions come with a release note which provides information on what's new with the release, API reference manuals which describe the APIs available with that release, etc. If you are just using the latest PDL version, you can just uninstall all the older versions. That way you have just one release note, and API reference manual. We do not automatically do a cleanup of software. The update manager is a handy tool that we provide that lets you manage the versions you need and uninstall those you don't. It is left to the user to decide.

when i do an update, can i make the update process include removal of old stuff, assuming it isn't needed anymore?

Some of the software versions install parallelly (like PDL) while some uninstall the previous one and install the latest (like PSoC Programmer). In the former case, it does not remove the older stuff because if your source code uses the older version of the PDL, uninstalling it would cause problems to you. A lot of users usually have version control in place and forcing them to use the latest one would cause havoc.

But in the latter case, it removes the old stuff because it a tool for programming/debugging rather than something that can affect your application development. PSoC Creator though allows parallel installation because newer versions could require you to update to newer components etc. which might change your application. So, we allow multiple versions to be installed parallelly.

Hope this answers your query

Regards,
Dheeraj

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

It is totally your choice because the Peripheral Driver Library (PDL) versions install in parallel and do not remove their older counterparts. Most of the code examples we provide mostly require a minimum for PDL 3.1.0, so I would suggest downloading all the versions from 3.1.0 onwards. This will ensure that the code examples run out of the box for you without any modifications. However, note that you could just have the latest 3.1.2 version if you do not want any older versions.

PDL installs in parallel with the older versions. So, you need not remove it. But in case you want to, you can make use of the "Uninstall" option in Update Manager to safely delete that version. That will safely delete the registry connections as well.

2) what happens when i click the update button for PSoC programmer. I think its safe to say it updates, but what happens to the old version?

In the case of PSoC Programmer, you cannot have multiple versions of it. It uninstalls the previous version and installs the new one. It does this automatically for you when you click "Update" in the Update Manager. You don't have to remove it manually.

Sometimes even though the software is installed, it does not work correctly, it might have files that are corrupted. In those cases, you can use the "Configure" option in Update Manager to repair your install and get the software working again.

4 PDL Release Notes

4 User Guides

Each of the software versions come with a release note which provides information on what's new with the release, API reference manuals which describe the APIs available with that release, etc. If you are just using the latest PDL version, you can just uninstall all the older versions. That way you have just one release note, and API reference manual. We do not automatically do a cleanup of software. The update manager is a handy tool that we provide that lets you manage the versions you need and uninstall those you don't. It is left to the user to decide.

when i do an update, can i make the update process include removal of old stuff, assuming it isn't needed anymore?

Some of the software versions install parallelly (like PDL) while some uninstall the previous one and install the latest (like PSoC Programmer). In the former case, it does not remove the older stuff because if your source code uses the older version of the PDL, uninstalling it would cause problems to you. A lot of users usually have version control in place and forcing them to use the latest one would cause havoc.

But in the latter case, it removes the old stuff because it a tool for programming/debugging rather than something that can affect your application development. PSoC Creator though allows parallel installation because newer versions could require you to update to newer components etc. which might change your application. So, we allow multiple versions to be installed parallelly.

Hope this answers your query

Regards,
Dheeraj

fair enough

thank you

0 Likes