Memory chips

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
vasa_4717671
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked

Hello everybody.

Recently, I made a mistake by buying the AMD RADEON R9 Gamer Series [R9S48G2806U2S] RAM. The bottom line is that various software, like Thaiphoon, cannot determine the memory chips that are in this RAM. I wrote to AMD asking for help. Here is what they answered:

Please note AMD abandoned flash memory business more than a decade ago. This business unit was spun off named SPANSION, which eventually took over by CYPRESS SEMICONDUCTORS.

I request you to please reach out to Cypress Semiconductor customer support for further assistance. Please visit https://www.cypress.com/contact-us

Thanks for contacting AMD.

Actually, I wrote Cypress, where AMD sent me.

Cypress, in turn, sent me here to the forum. So I ended up here. Apparently, those who are sitting in customer support are too lazy to spend 15 minutes and look at the specifications in the archive (the more manufacturers of this memory tried to erase meta data). By the way, I thought that sending from office to office and a similar bureaucracy is a trait inherent in Russia, but as it turned out, everyone is sick of it

Please, if you know which chips are used here, let me know. It is important for me for my professional activity.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
AlbertB_56
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Cypress Semiconductor.

The AMD RADEON R9 Gamer Series [R9S48G2806U2S] RAM is, in fact, an AMD product.  It is a graphics card using the R9S48G2806U2S RAM, which Cypress obviously does not support.  Unfortunately, AMD's Customer Support base may not be well versed on their own product line, hence as to why they deflected themselves and re-directed you to Cypress.  When AMD's customer support sees the word "memory" they immediately assume "FLASH" memory and they may not be proficient enough with differentiating between RAM and FLASH memory products.  Cypress does not design, manufacture, or sell the R9S48G2806U2S RAM, as it is an AMD product.

Best regards,

Albert

Cypress Semiconductor

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
AlbertB_56
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Cypress Semiconductor.

The AMD RADEON R9 Gamer Series [R9S48G2806U2S] RAM is, in fact, an AMD product.  It is a graphics card using the R9S48G2806U2S RAM, which Cypress obviously does not support.  Unfortunately, AMD's Customer Support base may not be well versed on their own product line, hence as to why they deflected themselves and re-directed you to Cypress.  When AMD's customer support sees the word "memory" they immediately assume "FLASH" memory and they may not be proficient enough with differentiating between RAM and FLASH memory products.  Cypress does not design, manufacture, or sell the R9S48G2806U2S RAM, as it is an AMD product.

Best regards,

Albert

Cypress Semiconductor

0 Likes