Oversampling ratio of the Delta Sigma Analog to Digital Converter

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NiVa_4337911
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

What is the oversampling ratio of PSoC5LP Delta Sigma Analog to Digital Converter?, I would like to have this info for the anti-aliasing filter design. I assume that it may over-sampled at the clock frequency (shown in the configuration window), but I can't find anything in the documentation about oversampling details.

pastedImage_0.png

1 Solution
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi,

The ADC decimation rate will vary according to resolution. The legal value of decimation can be from 2-256. This is adjusted according to the value in DEC_DR1 register. Kindly check the corresponding register in the Device Register TRM.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

NiVa,

Due to it's specific operation DeltaSigma ADC usually doesn't need anti-aliasing filter. For the same reason it doesn't have oversampling mode.

The SAR ADC, on the other hand, needs anti-aliasing filter and often has oversampling mode (but not on PSoC5).

/odissey1

0 Likes

Hi,

Any sampling process requires anti-aliasing filter, the delta-sigma has a relaxed requirements as it samples at much higher frequency (A quick search shows this blog for details https://e2e.ti.com/blogs_/archives/b/precisionhub/archive/2015/10/02/the-delta-sigma-advantage-to-an...)

pastedImage_1.png

The decimation filter (shown in page 2 of the datasheet) converts the over-sampled signal to the desired sampling rate, but I can't find the decimation factor (or oversampling ratio) from the datasheet.

0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi,

The ADC decimation rate will vary according to resolution. The legal value of decimation can be from 2-256. This is adjusted according to the value in DEC_DR1 register. Kindly check the corresponding register in the Device Register TRM.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

0 Likes

Thanks for the replay, I read the DEC_DR1 register value and it seems that the input is sampled (before decimation) at the clock frequency (at-least for my configuration).

0 Likes