IDAC

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
YuCh_3947976
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hi,I use the command (IDAC_SetValue(0xFF) ) to set the value to 0xFF,but I actually measure the voltage of R1 as 4.5V and current is 220uA by multimeter.

Anyone knows where I set it wrong?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
NoriTan
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

There is a Vcompliance specification described in the IDAC datasheet as follows.

GS004776.png

This is the drop out voltage from the power supply (or the ground) to the IDAC output.  So, the expected maximum voltage will be 4.2V in case of VDD=5.0V

Regards,

Noriaki

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
NoriTan
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

There is a Vcompliance specification described in the IDAC datasheet as follows.

GS004776.png

This is the drop out voltage from the power supply (or the ground) to the IDAC output.  So, the expected maximum voltage will be 4.2V in case of VDD=5.0V

Regards,

Noriaki

0 Likes

May I adjust the maximum voltage in system?

I want to get maximum voltage is 12V on R_1,have any method to realize it?

(I use CY8CKIT-044)

0 Likes

YuCh,

Here's a controlled voltage source using the IDAC.

pastedImage_0.png

The source current from the external OP284 opamp is limited by the max source current of the opamp which is about 12mA.

If you need significantly more current you will need to place a PNP transistor on the output of the opamp and place the feedbackof the opamp to the output of the PNP.  See diagram below.  This circuit is designed for about 1A @ 12V output.

pastedImage_1.png

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

Ok,thanks,I would use the upper circuit.

when I test the function,I want to set the current value to 0 ( IDAC_SetValue(0) )

it always has a minimum voltage and current on R_1(around 2.2V、334uA)

Don't I use the command to set value what I want?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

YuCh,

I want to set the current value to 0 ( IDAC_SetValue(0) )

Yes.  That's how you control the output setpoint.

I've attached a better schematic of the first circuit with your 6.8K resistor on the IDAC and a Rail-to-Rail output Opamp.  Note:  To use the opamp below to get 12V as a maximum output you need a 13V Vbat supply.

pastedImage_4.png

Here is the DC sweep of the above circuit from IDAC = 0uA to 612uA

pastedImage_5.png

Len

Len

Can you provide your project to me?

I want to check what's the difference.

thanks.

0 Likes

YuCh,

I have no project.  What I have provided are schematics and simulation data from LTSpice.

Len

Len
0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

YuCh,

The PSoC won't be able to provide more voltage than is sourced to it.  In this case VDDA on your PSoC is about 4.5V.

Your settings of 621uA with R1 = 20K ohms = 0.000621A * 20000 ohms = 12.24V.   You will be limited to VDDA = 4.5V.  With R1 = 20K, the current is 4.5V/20000 = 0.000225A  = 225uA.

You indicated that you want a maximum voltage of 12V.  What is the intent of this part of your design?  Are you using the IDAC to provide a controlled voltage or a controlled current?

Len

Len