I am working on WICED secure bootloader. In wided studio sdk is uEcc is buit-in available? If yes how to enable and utilize in application code.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SuHR_4662741
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on WICED secure bootloader.

In wided studio sdk is uEcc is buit-in available?

If yes how to enable and utilize in application code.

0 Likes
1 Solution

We have not tested micro-ecc for secure bootloader; since as mentioned earlier we already have a secure boot option which utilizes the hw crypto present in 90x. I have not done footprint analysis though but my guess would be the default secure boot option will have less memory footprint since the crypto functions are present in the ROM.

If you still intend to use micro ecc, you can do so. The porting should not take significant effort. I will just try to provide a brief outline on how to do so (we haven't tried this though)

1. Migrate to 43xxx_Wi-Fi/apps/waf/bootloader/bootloader.mk, and add $(NAME)_COMPONENTS += BESL/crypto_internal/micro-ecc in the .mk
  2. Include uECC.h in the bootloader.c and use uECC as you need it. Also, it is worth checking out the way mbedTLS uses micro-ecc functions inside WICED (Refer: 43xxx_Wi-Fi/WICED/security/BESL/mbedtls_open/library/ecp_alt.c). If your intention is already taken care of by the mbedTLS library, you can compile that as well as a part of bootloader (might need linker script adjustment though)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RaktimR_11
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

What is the chip/platform you are using?

WICED Studio already comes with a secure boot option for CYW4390x based devices? Appnote: https://www.cypress.com/file/298286/download

Does that serve your purpose or you need ECC specifically?

0 Likes

Hi,

We are using. CYW907 wiced devices

As our is embedded device, expecting small foot print secure bootloader.

I am talking about micro ecc.

We are using wiced version 6.0

Please clarify availability of micr ecc in wiced stack for secure bootloader purpose.

If it is available how to enable and use it from application layer? And how to test/verify this feature?

Expecting your valuable suggestions here.

Let me know your free time will discuss.

Regards,

Subramanya H R

0 Likes

We have not tested micro-ecc for secure bootloader; since as mentioned earlier we already have a secure boot option which utilizes the hw crypto present in 90x. I have not done footprint analysis though but my guess would be the default secure boot option will have less memory footprint since the crypto functions are present in the ROM.

If you still intend to use micro ecc, you can do so. The porting should not take significant effort. I will just try to provide a brief outline on how to do so (we haven't tried this though)

1. Migrate to 43xxx_Wi-Fi/apps/waf/bootloader/bootloader.mk, and add $(NAME)_COMPONENTS += BESL/crypto_internal/micro-ecc in the .mk
  2. Include uECC.h in the bootloader.c and use uECC as you need it. Also, it is worth checking out the way mbedTLS uses micro-ecc functions inside WICED (Refer: 43xxx_Wi-Fi/WICED/security/BESL/mbedtls_open/library/ecp_alt.c). If your intention is already taken care of by the mbedTLS library, you can compile that as well as a part of bootloader (might need linker script adjustment though)