Unable to use pin 8 as GPIO on FX3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AlNo_3504021
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to use GPIO[8] on the FX3 as a GPIO for my application. After initializing the GPIO block, I call:

CyU3PDeviceGpioOverride(8, CyTrue);

CyU3PGpioSetSimpleConfig(8, &gpioConfig);

These API calls return CY_U3P_SUCCESS. However, whenever I read from GPIO[8], the input stage value is always zero, and setting the output does not change the pin output level. The exact same process works as expected for FX3 GPIO 7 and 9 (able to drive output and read input).

This behavior is present on the Cypress FX3 Superspeed explorer kit, as well as a custom FX3 based board (FX3 model CYUSB2014). Do you have any ideas why this might be happening? The complex block corresponding to GPIO[8] is in use by my application, but I'm attempting to configure the pin as a simple GPIO (GPIO[24] also works as expected).

Thanks,

Alex

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello Alex,

From the FX3 TRM,there are eight complex I/O pin groups, the elements of which are chosen in a modulo 8 fashion (complex I/O group 0: GPIO 0, 8, 16;

complex I/O group 1: GPIO 1, 9, 17, and so on).

Each group can have different complex I/O functions (like PWM, one shot, and so on). However, only one pin from a group can use the complex I/O functions. The rest of the pins in the group are used as block I/O or simple GPIO.

I have modified the firmware example gpio, in the SDK, app as per you application but i am not able to reproduce the problem face by you. Please try using this firmware and let me know the results.

These are the results on configuring GPIO 8 as input pin. I have tested this firmware on SuperSpeed Explorer Kit.

gpio8.PNG

If this doesn't work, please try using only GPIO 8 (try removing the use of complex gpio) in the firmware and test whether that is working as expected

Regards,

Rashi

Regards,
Rashi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
NoriTan
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

I have confirmed that GPIO[8] can be configured as input and output using the example project GpioApp

Please ensure that the bit 8 is not set to the gpioSimpleEn member for the IO MATRIX configuration.

io_cfg.gpioSimpleEn[0]  = 0x00000000; /* GPIO 8 & 21 */

io_cfg.gpioSimpleEn[1]  = 0x00002000; /* GPIO 45 */

Please note that no error message will be reported here because the UART port is not initialized.

Regards,

Noriaki

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello Alex,

From the FX3 TRM,there are eight complex I/O pin groups, the elements of which are chosen in a modulo 8 fashion (complex I/O group 0: GPIO 0, 8, 16;

complex I/O group 1: GPIO 1, 9, 17, and so on).

Each group can have different complex I/O functions (like PWM, one shot, and so on). However, only one pin from a group can use the complex I/O functions. The rest of the pins in the group are used as block I/O or simple GPIO.

I have modified the firmware example gpio, in the SDK, app as per you application but i am not able to reproduce the problem face by you. Please try using this firmware and let me know the results.

These are the results on configuring GPIO 8 as input pin. I have tested this firmware on SuperSpeed Explorer Kit.

gpio8.PNG

If this doesn't work, please try using only GPIO 8 (try removing the use of complex gpio) in the firmware and test whether that is working as expected

Regards,

Rashi

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes
AlNo_3504021
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rashi and Noriaki,

Thanks for the prompt feedback. I downloaded the attached GpioApp and loaded it onto my SuperSpeed explorer kit with the same results - glad I was able to verify there was no hardware issue or anything like that.

FX3_Pin8_Input.JPG

I did a little more investigating on my side and discovered a problem with my application which was causing the behavior I was seeing. It has been resolved now.

Thanks,

Alex

0 Likes