CYPD3171-24LQXQ and ACT4751-101 basics

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SeFr_4652656
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Cypress Community,

I'am contacting you from Erlagen (Germany), so please excuse my poor english.

I developed a simple USB-C PD source cuirquit following your Reference desinge ACT4751-101 closely. But I stil have some remaining Questions about the USB-C controler CYPD3171-24LQXQ that my cuirquit will be using.

I hope you can help my with that.

1. Does the CYPD3171-24LQXQ come with a preconfigured Firmeware running on it? If yes what are the values of the PDO's in this preconfiguration?

2. Which Programming Tools are able to use your EZ-PD Utility to change the the Firmwareconfigurations on the USB-C controler? (Is it only possible with the CY4532 EZ-PD CCG3PA Evaluation Kit? Or does the CY8ckit-002 Psoc MiniProg3 also work for that?). Both of them seem kind of expensive, so are ther any cheaper options to config the CYPD3171-24LQXQ?

3. In the Reference design you are using the Qurvo ACT4751 as dc/dc converter. Do I need to reconfigure that one aswell or schould both chips be able to comunicate right away?

4. Are there any Reference-Codes for the Firmeware of the CYPD3171-24LQXQ available that would work in an application similar to the ACT4751-101 reference?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Yours sincerely

Sebastian

0 Likes
1 Solution
YiZ_31
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hi Sebastian,

Yes, MiniProg3 can only program via SWD interface. PSoC Programmer or PSoc Creator can do this.

If you need program via CC interface with EZ-PD configuration utility, you need a programming board I have sent to you last time.

We do not have existing project compatible with ACT4751-101.You need to start from the example project in CCGx Power SDK.

Regards,
Eddie

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Sebastian,

1. The CYPD3171-24LQXQ come with a CC bootloader only. And the PDO is sink PDO with 5V/900mA.

2. There are some third party tools. The key points is CCG3PA supports CC bootloader and SWD programming. CY4532 power board bootloader CCG3PA with Type-C port (CC pin) is following cc bootloader. The USBCEE PAT could programming it also, you can get it from www.usbcee.com . MiniProg3 is following SWD programming, SWD is standard programming Specification, the tool could support SWD programming could support to programming CCG3PA.

3. ACT4751 is DC/DC converter, before check the I2C interaction between CCG3PA and ACT4751, you need make sure the DC/DC could working well with external direct feedback resistor and 5V,9V, and other voltage could working well on ACT4751 standalone.

4. Yes, we have Power SDK which is for CCG3PA application, you could install the SDK and customize the firmware as per your hardware design. Download link: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-pd-ccgx-power-software-development-kit

Best Regards,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I probably get your answer wrong, so perhaps you can help me to understand your answer better.

It sounds like you think that I would like to programm the CY4532 EZ-PD CCG3PA Evaluation Kit.

But I am actualy searching for a way to programm the CYPD3171-24LQXQ.

In the Datasheet of the CYPD3171-24LQXQ only the MiniProg 3 and the CY4532 EZ-PD CCG3PA Evaluation Kit are mentioned as programmers.

Both of them are far to expensive for my application. In your Answer you suggested that every Programmer with SWD support would be able to Programm this chip. I have an 511-ST-LINK/V2 on hand which claims to be able to use this Protokoll would this work with the CYPD3171-24LQXQ and the SDK?

I really appriciate your help.

Best Regards

Sebastian

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi,

The power board of CYPD4532 integrates a CYPD65211 and CCG4 which enable you to program a CCG3PA through cc. PSoC Programmer and PSoC Creator cannot support ST-LINK. I'm not sure whether the IDE of it can support CCG3PA.

Regards,
Eddie

Hi, I want to programm the CYPD3171 controller on my Board. (not a CCG3PA) And I am looking for a less expensive alternative to the MiniProg3 and the CCG3PA Evaluation Kit to do so. Somthing supported by the PSoC Creator or the EZ-PD-Utility Regards, Sebastian.

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi,

CYPD3171 is one of the part number of CCG3PA.

pastedImage_3.png

The most cost-saving solution in production is making a programming board of the below schematic (part of CY4532 power board). This board enables you to program CCG3PA via CC interface.

pastedImage_2.png

Regards,
Eddie

Thank you and sorry for my confusion.

So if I got this right the MiniProg3 only enables me to programm the CYPD3171-24LQXQ via SWD. ANd the MiniProg3 is not able to use the cc Interface to programm.

But I would need the CC interface to use the EZ-PD-configuration Utility. Right?

That means with the MiniProg3 I can only flash directly from the PSoc Creator.

Is the PSoc-Creator sourcecode for the Reference desinge ACT4751-101 available somewhere. Or some similar example for an USB-C-PD-source application?

Big Thanks for all your help.

Regards, Sebastian

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi Sebastian,

Yes, MiniProg3 can only program via SWD interface. PSoC Programmer or PSoc Creator can do this.

If you need program via CC interface with EZ-PD configuration utility, you need a programming board I have sent to you last time.

We do not have existing project compatible with ACT4751-101.You need to start from the example project in CCGx Power SDK.

Regards,
Eddie

0 Likes