How To Interface Sterling-LWB to CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
WiWi_4702256
Level 5
Level 5
5 sign-ins Welcome! 5 solutions authored

I would like to interface the Sterling-LWB SD Card Dev Board (450-0156 | Rev 5) to the CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT bypassing the WiFi chip currently used on the CY8CKIT.

I would like to do this without having to get a hardware engineer to modify the kit (soldering, etc) is this possible. I want to ensure that the existing WiFi is bypassed, disabled and not interfering. Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi WiWi_4702256​,

Unfortunately, this is not possible without hardware modifications as the available SDIO connection is already configured to the on-board CY4343W module.

Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi WiWi_4702256​,

Unfortunately, this is not possible without hardware modifications as the available SDIO connection is already configured to the on-board CY4343W module.

Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Thank you for the verification. I did not want to duplicate work that may have already been done. I will continue to research Sterling LWB and PSoC 6 WiFi-BT documentation to provide detailed steps for interfacing the Laird Sterling-LWB™ Development Kit with SD Card Form Factor to the PSoC® 6 WiFi-BT Pioneer Kit (CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT). Thanks.

0 Likes

As a software developer, I would like to ensure the correct modifications are done by the hardware engineer. In order to do that I need to run the Sterling-LWB demo application.

Furthermore, I would like to just give the hardware engineer a list of mods to perform to ensure that the hardware mods are the correct ones to make. The Sterling-LWB Module, according to their documentation, depends on use of the Cypress WICED SDK for software development.

The Sterling-LWB is based on the Cypress BCM4343W radio and can be used with the WICED SDK by targeting the LSRSTERLING_00950 target platform files. However, this is for a specific platform and the Sterling document has a note in “red”.

”IMPORTANT: This demo application is designed for use with the STM32F411 Discovery Board and may not operate as expected with other discovery boards. The BLE and Wi-Fi capabilities may continue to operate normally but if the sensors are not found, the code will use a pseudo-random number generator to produce sensor values”

I need to run this demo to check out the Sterling-LWB module once mods are made and before developing our application(s).

I am reading the Sterling document below to determine mods to make to target platform file “CY8CKIT_062” for PSoC 6 board.

https://connectivity-staging.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/2019-03/330-0234.pdf

I am reading the Sterling document below to determine hardware mods required to interface Sterling-LWB to PSoC 6 board.

https://connectivity-staging.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/2019-03/330-0201.pdf

I am going to contact Sterling for help/advice with modifications to the existing “CY8CKIT_062” for PSoC 6 board WICED config file.

What I would like for Cypress to do if possible:

A Cypress hardware engineer to please advise me on what mods I should be “mindful” of when interfacing the Sterling-LWB to their PSoC 6 CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT board? The link below is to the technical drawings for the Sterling-LWB Development Kit with SD Card Form Factor board.

https://connectivity-staging.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/2019-03/751-0005.zip

Thanks,

William

0 Likes

Hello WiWi_4702256

Just a quick clarification if it's possible to provide. The PSoC6 WiFi-BT kit already comes with a Murata based 4343 chip. Is there any particular reason as to why you are moving to the Sterling-EWB based module which is again a 4343 based chip?

Hello MuraliR_36,

That... Is an excellent question! In fact, I am frustrated at myself for not asking that very question in the first place. Also, I have wasted 3 days researching how to mod the hardware when I could of been developing.

My customer asked me to order both these devices which I did. So I figured there was a reason...

I will be discussing this with them at our tag up today.

Thanks,

William

0 Likes

So there are two very specific reasons for choosing Sterling-LWB. The same two reasons that PSoC 6 was chosen. I am not at liberty to discuss why. Both company sensitive (NDA in place). I stopped a long time ago trying to understand hardware engineers and their reasoning's... I just give their creations life... They just gave me a list of measurable objectives I am to accomplish and a 128 page System description. I am just now starting to "see" the big picture.

The good part is that I was not wasting my time. They want me to continue with mods. Even if it means having to order another one...

Please let the Cypress Engineers know that this is the first time I've seen a PCB developed with "software flowchart" like connectors with alpha characters. Very cool. Most of my journey had been accidental, especially finding pins P2.1 thru P2.7 until it dawned on me what was being done... That discovery was accidental as well... The SDIO interface to the Murata is "k" I believe. Tell them very cool!

Very good schematics, easy to follow...

Best Regards,

William

0 Likes