Ad-Hoc functionality

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Is Ad-Hoc mode supported in WICED?

I was looking through the Wi-Fi driver in the SDK but found few mentions of it, with lots of Ad-Hoc events unhandled and no way that I could find for creating an IBSS network.

Someone asked the same question a while back and got an uncertain answer...

I did see some posts about people claiming they were using Ad-Hoc, but with no detail.

It's obvious the hardware supports it, since the "wl" tool allows it. However, I don't know if WICED supports it as well.

Thanks,

Victor

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jakob,

I have rechecked here and can confirm that adhoc mode is *not* supported in the WICED SDK and we have no plans to implement it as this would be a proprietary implementation and likely to lead to interoperability issues.  

Regards

Dave

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

My understanding is that it is not fully supported.

Does WICED(43362) support ADHOC feature?

Perhaps gangi or david_armour can confirm.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, it's been a very long time since I've been asked about adhoc!!!

From memory, we supported this for legacy 11b connections but it was no longer mandatory to support on later WLAN standards, mostly because the wpa2 security was not implemented on these links.

I'll double check when I get back to my room after embedded world today

Regards

Dave

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI

Did you find any thing out?

Any progress will be appreciated.

What I have found out this fare:

The BCM43362 is able to connect to a AD-HOC network if one is in range. ( I might have changed something in WICED to get there but not that much.)

The BCM43362 is not able to answer when requested when it is in AD-HOC mode.

If there is not any matching AD-HOC nodes in range when the BCM43362 tries to connect it will make up a new IBSS id even if one is given in the connect request. (Look at wiced_join_ap_specific ignores BSSID )

Regards

Jakob

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jakob,

I have rechecked here and can confirm that adhoc mode is *not* supported in the WICED SDK and we have no plans to implement it as this would be a proprietary implementation and likely to lead to interoperability issues.  

Regards

Dave

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is not supported. We support wifi direct instead. Or you can use soft AP mode. But the classic ad-hoc mode is not supported and will never be since it is not supposed to be used and most use cases are better served by wifi direct instead. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, this helps!

Regards,

Victor

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

nsankar

Why is it that you say that ad.hoc is not supposed to be used?

It solves a whole range of mesh related problems that AP/STA does not.

And WiFi-Direct is P2P, slow to set-up and prone to implementation differens issues.

Please use that little extra time to make ad-hoc work. You are so close.

Regards

Jakob

0 Likes