Components not appearing in debug window

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PeBe_1604221
Level 3
Level 3
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins 5 questions asked

Hi,

I am trying to debug a SPI problem in PSoC Creator (V4.3) on a PSoC 6 device. My design contains some Control Register components, A PWM component, a SPI component, and an I2C component.

When I hit a breakpoint, and use the menu option Debug/Windows/Components, I get the "Select Component Instance Debug Windows" dialog, but it only shows the Control Register components and not the PWM, SPI or I2C components.

Please tell me how to fix this.

Peter

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi PeBe_1604221​,

Thank you for bringing this to our notice. This is a known issue and we have raised an internal request regarding this.

We recommend you to use ModusToolbox for all PSoC 6 project development. ModusToolbox caters to almost all features of PSoC 6 devices and with the new v2.1 release a lot of new and exciting features are added about which you can read about in this blog - Available Now - ModusToolbox 2.1

Hope this helps,

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi PeBe_1604221​,

Thank you for bringing this to our notice. This is a known issue and we have raised an internal request regarding this.

We recommend you to use ModusToolbox for all PSoC 6 project development. ModusToolbox caters to almost all features of PSoC 6 devices and with the new v2.1 release a lot of new and exciting features are added about which you can read about in this blog - Available Now - ModusToolbox 2.1

Hope this helps,

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hi Rakshith,

Thanks for your response, and for letting me know that this is a known issue.

You say in your response that you “… recommend you to use ModusToolbox for all PSoC 6 project development“. If that is the case, then please can you answer the following questions:

1. I make extensive use of the schematic editor in Creator 4.3. Is it possible to achieve this same flexibility of component interconnection with Modus Toolbox?
  2. I make extensive use of UDBs and the Analog components, is it possible to still use these in Modus Toolbox?
  3. In Section 2.2.1 of both your application notes AN221774 and AN228571, the recommendation is to use PSoC Creator “ … if you are intending to use the UDBs “. Is this no longer the case?
  4. I use C++ (using some custom flags in the Command Line field of the Build Settings in Creator). Can I still use C++ in Modus Toolbox?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Peter

0 Likes

Hi PeBe_1604221​,

I make extensive use of the schematic editor in Creator 4.3. Is it possible to achieve this same flexibility of component interconnection with Modus Toolbox?

The schematic based editor is no longer available with ModusToolbox. But interconnection between components is still possible using the Device Configurator. You can also use the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) to connect between the hardware blocks using firmware only.

I make extensive use of UDBs and the Analog components, is it possible to still use these in Modus Toolbox?

Please let me know the Analog Component that you are referring to. If the analog component is unavailable in ModusToolbox I will raise an internal ticket to track this issue.

In Section 2.2.1 of both your application notes AN221774 and AN228571, the recommendation is to use PSoC Creator “ … if you are intending to use the UDBs “. Is this no longer the case?

Yes, there is no UDB support provided with ModusToolbox. PSoC 6 provides fixed hardware implementations for most design requirements. But if the design requires UDBs then it is supported only in PSoC Creator.

I use C++ (using some custom flags in the Command Line field of the Build Settings in Creator). Can I still use C++ in Modus Toolbox?

There is no official support for C++ in both PSoC Creator and ModusToolbox.

Thank you for your valuable feedback

Best Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hi Rakshith,

Thanks for your response.

You asked me to “Please let me know the Analog Component that you are referring to”. I suppose my best answer is “all of them”. Let me explain:

• The design I am currently working on is using the CYBLE-416045-02. This design is using SPI, I2C, PWM, some Control registers, a De-Multiplexer, and some logic gates. Would I be able to use all of these in Modus Toolbox?
  • We have a few old designs that were implemented using PSoC 4 devices, and we want to update these to also use the CYBLE-416045-02. On the digital side, these designs use SPI, Control Registers, Status Registers, De-Multiplexers, BLE, various logic gates. On the analog side they use op-amps, comparators, ADC and DAC components. All these components are available on the CYBLE-416045-02 and can be used in Creator. Can I use all of these components in Modus Toobox?
  • We are looking at a few future designs, again based on the CYBLE-416045-02. Exactly what components they will require is still to be determined. Can all the components available on this device by used in Modus Toolbox?

I think the biggest problem here is that Cypress has not been totally clear and un-ambiguous about what can and cannot be done with Modus Toolbox, especially when it is compared to Creator. This is making it very difficult for users to know if they can migrate from Creator to Modus Toolbox. There is discussion about this confusion on the forums.

Perhaps the easiest way to answer my questions here would be to answer this one question:

• For the CYBLE-416045-02 device, is it possible to use every component available on this device using Modus Toolbox, and if not, exactly what is not possible when compared to using Creator?

Thanks again for you time answering these questions. I love the Cypress products and we are keen to keep using them, but this confusion over the capability of Modus Toolbox is making it difficult to decide on future design choices.

Best regards,

Peter

0 Likes

Hello Peter,

Answering your questions:

The design I am currently working on is using the CYBLE-416045-02. This design is using SPI, I2C, PWM, some Control registers, a De-Multiplexer, and some logic gates. Would I be able to use all of these in Modus Toolbox?

You will be able to use the peripherals, SCBs, and other hardware drivers in ModusToolbox. ModusToolbox doesn't have support for:

• Digital Logic Components
  • Digital Register Components
  • Digital Utility Components

We have a few old designs that were implemented using PSoC 4 devices, and we want to update these to also use the CYBLE-416045-02. On the digital side, these designs use SPI, Control Registers, Status Registers, De-Multiplexers, BLE, various logic gates. On the analog side they use op-amps, comparators, ADC and DAC components. All these components are available on the CYBLE-416045-02 and can be used in Creator. Can I use all of these components in Modus Toobox?

Migrating from PSoC Creator to ModusToolbox is a moderately difficult task since these are two completely different environments. It will be better to start development from scratch for PSoC6 on ModusToolbox and you will notice how easy it to develop an application, the software comes with new features like HAL, BSP etc. There is no longer support for Component APIs, you will need to use PDL APIs. I have mentioned what's not available in the previous question.

We are looking at a few future designs, again based on the CYBLE-416045-02. Exactly what components they will require is still to be determined. Can all the components available on this device by used in Modus Toolbox?

You will be able to develop applications using ModusToolbox to target each of the features of the device. The PDL provides extensive set of libraries to interact with the hardware easily. The components I mentioned in the first question no longer remain supported in ModusToolbox.

I think the biggest problem here is that Cypress has not been totally clear and un-ambiguous about what can and cannot be done with Modus Toolbox, especially when it is compared to Creator. This is making it very difficult for users to know if they can migrate from Creator to Modus Toolbox. There is discussion about this confusion on the forums.

I agree. We are working on a guide to highlight the differences and clear out the confusion. Thank you for your feedback.

Hope this answers all your questions

Regards,

Dheeraj

Hi Dheeraj,

Thank you for your very comprehensive reply.

I must say, I think it is amazing (almost un-believable) that Cypress has a new product range (i.e PSoC 6), and a new development tool (Modus Toolbox), but the new tool does not support aspects of the new product (i.e. the digital logic, registers, and utilities). Why bother putting UDBs into the silicon, and promoting their availability in the Product Selector and datasheets, when they cannot be used?

Thanks again for your time responding to my questions.

Kind regards,

Peter

0 Likes

Hello Peter,

PSoC Creator still remains a full supported development tool if you want to make use of UDBs and other components not supported by ModusToolbox. So, you can make use of it for supported PSoC 6 products.

ModusToolbox has been developed with a lot of foresight and thought put into why certain things are the way they are. You will get your answers when the new range of products get released in the future.

We definitely understand your concerns and appreciate you bringing it to our notice.  Thank you for your interest in Cypress Products.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi Dheeraj,

Thank you for this answer - the best comment I have seen yet on this controversy. I look forward to reading through the guide that you say is being worked on to clear out the confusion. In the mean time I will have a good look at Modus Toolbox so that I can make more informed choices in the future.

Best regards,

Peter

0 Likes