CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT power measurement

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RoMe_3816436
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How can I measure the power consumption of the CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT board ?

1) I notice there is a jumper/pin to measure the current of the PSoC alone, but I want the whole board current consumption, including the FRAM

2) since there are many peripherals on the board (e.g., sensors), will the power measurements vary a lot run-to-run ?

thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Rosh,

The VDD current measurement block you are referring to is not implemented as of now. This may be implemented in future.Even if you use this TP25 (the output of INA216A3RSW) , you will still measure only PSoC 6 current. The idea of this current sense amplifier as well as J8 jumper is to be able to measure only PSoC 6 current. We have done a lot of care to avoid any other current coming to this domain.

Measuring FRAM current is definitely easier, just need to measure the current across J26 (remove R13 and populate J26) and add up both PSoC 6 and FRAM currents.

Best Regards,

Vasanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Vasanth

Hi,

Kindly check the kit schematic. Here you can see that P6_VDD and FRAM VDD are connected  thorugh a 0 ohm resistor. And there is a jumper J26. You can give power an measure the current through the p6VDD point in the kit. You can identify the peripherals powered by P6_VDD to know what all comes in the calculation. Once in the same configuration power measurements are not expected to vary in a large scale.

Best Regards,

Vasanth

0 Likes

Hi VasanthR_91​,

I had a look at the schematic, what about TP25 (the output of INA216A3RSW) ? can I connect an oscilloscope to it to get the total board current consumption ?

I see that the wifi module also receives power from P6_vdd. However, if I don't use wifi in my design, will it still continue to draw current ? even if not active ?

thanks

Rosh

0 Likes
Vasanth

Hi Rosh,

The VDD current measurement block you are referring to is not implemented as of now. This may be implemented in future.Even if you use this TP25 (the output of INA216A3RSW) , you will still measure only PSoC 6 current. The idea of this current sense amplifier as well as J8 jumper is to be able to measure only PSoC 6 current. We have done a lot of care to avoid any other current coming to this domain.

Measuring FRAM current is definitely easier, just need to measure the current across J26 (remove R13 and populate J26) and add up both PSoC 6 and FRAM currents.

Best Regards,

Vasanth

0 Likes

Okay, so just to confirm - basically there is no pin I can monitor to get the 'full' dev-kit board current/power consumption ?

Is there even an indirect way to get the 'full board' power consumption ?

thanks

Rosh

0 Likes
Vasanth

Hi Rosh,

There is no straight forward way to measure full board current. There too many options on the dev kit to evaluate multiple set of features. The unused features will end up acting stray current / quiescent current making the reading unreliable. If really required, you will have to monitor 2 major voltage domains, P6_VDD and VCC_3V3. You will have to find out all the different places these supplies are getting connected and tap points to connect multiple ammeter at required places, which can be quite difficult.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

0 Likes