Help with communication options for a Capsense PCB

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jcsb1994
Level 4
Level 4
First solution authored 50 replies posted 50 sign-ins

Hi,

I ordered this board that uses a 4100S series PSoC (CY8C4125AZI-S433).

2.png

I realized there is a problem as I do not have any real way to communicate with the board and get the data from my Capsense widgets. I only placed a 2 pin I2C connector (linked to P0.0 and P0.1 of the PSoC) and a 5 pin SWD connector for programming.

Is there anything I can do to retrieve the data or this board is doomed?
I was thinking I could do I2C-USB bridging with the miniprog3 but later realized it was just for PSoC 1 devices.. And All the bridging options with the miniprog4 are supported with the 10pin connector only, and I placed the 5 pin connector on my board.

would it be possible to use the pins 3.2 and 3.3 used for the SWD connector (after programming) to act as UART pins and then use them to communicate with the CYUSBS232 USB-UART board?

I would like to be able to read the data to see it in the Capsense tuner UI. Maybe I could do this via my I2C connection, and find a way to do some i2C-USB bridging?

Please let me know if you think of anything else I could do!

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Dear JeSi-san,

> 1. Is this only if I have I2C or UART pins connected to my 5-pin SWD? my SWD IO pins on my PCB have    scb[1].uart_cts:1   and     scb[1].uart_rts:1     as alternate functions. So I am not convinced I can get any I2C or UART bridging from my SWD connector on my board?

YES.

What I meant was the KitProg provides these features, but which I/F is usable is depending on the I/F provided by the target.

And as you already know, if you need UART connection, you may be able to do it by using SWD pins as UART,

with this configuration you can program the device, but you can not debug the device. (May be I'm getting wordy)

> 2. can the snap-off kitprog on prototype kits can be used as programmers just like the miniprog3 or miniprog4 for the 5 pin SWD connector? Or I would need the miniprog for programming, then switch to the kitprog for UART or I2C USB bridging?

Yes and No. As far as I have been using the KitProg works both as debugger and USB-serial at the same time,

you don't have to switch. I'm not sure about I2C, though, as I have not used USB-I2C bridge function of KitProg, yet.

Although I have both MiniProg3 and KitProgs, mainly I use a KitProg as it provides both SWD and UART-USB with 1 USB connection. When I use MiniProg3, I need to connect my USB-Serial module then a couple of USB ports will be occupied.

And so far, I could program/debug any PSoC 4 / PSoC 5LP boards I tried with a KitProg.

> 3. And what about the CYUSBS234 kit? would this one work too with my I2C connector at the right of my board for USB bridging?

I'm sorry but I have not tried this board by myself. So I can only write with my guess.

So please proceed with a grain of salt. (You are warned)

Probably it will work just like a KitProg.

One thing bothered me from watching the picture in the web,

it has 9-pin Serial Connector, which should be compatible with RS232C,

if it's the case the voltage of the pins are much higher so do not connect tx, rx of

this connector directly to the PSoC Board.

Talking about voltage reminded me of another things. (This must be important)

The KitProg by default, provides 5V.

So if your board is operating in a different voltage please read the following thread.

Re: PSOC 5LP 3.3V external powered KitProg

Best Regards,

25-Apr-2020

Motoo Tanaka

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jcsb1994
Level 4
Level 4
First solution authored 50 replies posted 50 sign-ins

Important: I have found this module https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cyusbs234-usb-serial-single-channel-dev... .  Could the CYUSBS234 let me connect my board's I2C connector and connect directly to the capsense tuner to see my data?? In that case, my problem would be solved!

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

I think that you can get a CY8CKIT-043 board and snap off the KitProg to use with your board.

Then you will have USB-I2C, USB-UART, USB-SWD and even another MCU board, too.

Any other Prototype kits with KitProg should work same way.

CY8CKIT-043

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-043-psoc-4-m-series-prototyping...

KitProg User Guide

https://www.cypress.com/file/157966/download

moto

MoTa_728816​ thanks a lot for your reply!

Then you will have USB-I2C, USB-UART, USB-SWD and even another MCU board, too.

Any other Prototype kits with KitProg should work same way.

1. Is this only if I have I2C or UART pins connected to my 5-pin SWD? my SWD IO pins on my PCB have    scb[1].uart_cts:1   and     scb[1].uart_rts:1     as alternate functions. So I am not convinced I can get any I2C or UART bridging from my SWD connector on my board?

Also,

2. can the snap-off kitprog on prototype kits can be used as programmers just like the miniprog3 or miniprog4 for the 5 pin SWD connector? Or I would need the miniprog for programming, then switch to the kitprog for UART or I2C USB bridging?

3. And what about the CYUSBS234 kit? would this one work too with my I2C connector at the right of my board for USB bridging?

Sorry for all my questions!

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9

Dear JeSi-san,

> 1. Is this only if I have I2C or UART pins connected to my 5-pin SWD? my SWD IO pins on my PCB have    scb[1].uart_cts:1   and     scb[1].uart_rts:1     as alternate functions. So I am not convinced I can get any I2C or UART bridging from my SWD connector on my board?

YES.

What I meant was the KitProg provides these features, but which I/F is usable is depending on the I/F provided by the target.

And as you already know, if you need UART connection, you may be able to do it by using SWD pins as UART,

with this configuration you can program the device, but you can not debug the device. (May be I'm getting wordy)

> 2. can the snap-off kitprog on prototype kits can be used as programmers just like the miniprog3 or miniprog4 for the 5 pin SWD connector? Or I would need the miniprog for programming, then switch to the kitprog for UART or I2C USB bridging?

Yes and No. As far as I have been using the KitProg works both as debugger and USB-serial at the same time,

you don't have to switch. I'm not sure about I2C, though, as I have not used USB-I2C bridge function of KitProg, yet.

Although I have both MiniProg3 and KitProgs, mainly I use a KitProg as it provides both SWD and UART-USB with 1 USB connection. When I use MiniProg3, I need to connect my USB-Serial module then a couple of USB ports will be occupied.

And so far, I could program/debug any PSoC 4 / PSoC 5LP boards I tried with a KitProg.

> 3. And what about the CYUSBS234 kit? would this one work too with my I2C connector at the right of my board for USB bridging?

I'm sorry but I have not tried this board by myself. So I can only write with my guess.

So please proceed with a grain of salt. (You are warned)

Probably it will work just like a KitProg.

One thing bothered me from watching the picture in the web,

it has 9-pin Serial Connector, which should be compatible with RS232C,

if it's the case the voltage of the pins are much higher so do not connect tx, rx of

this connector directly to the PSoC Board.

Talking about voltage reminded me of another things. (This must be important)

The KitProg by default, provides 5V.

So if your board is operating in a different voltage please read the following thread.

Re: PSOC 5LP 3.3V external powered KitProg

Best Regards,

25-Apr-2020

Motoo Tanaka