Remote communication error in WICED debugging at CYW94343WWCD1_EVB

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
YaSe_4616256
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

<My situation>
I'm training WICED programing using CYW94343WWCD1_EVB. In this training, I'm refering the following two documents.

1) Cypress Academy WICED Wi-Fi 101 Book - WW101-02-Peripherals.pdf
https://github.com/cypresssemiconductorco/CypressAcademy_WW101_Files/tree/master/Labmanual

2) CYW943907AEVAL1F Evaluation Kit User Guide
https://japan.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cyw943907aeval1f-evaluation-kit

This document is not for CYW94343WWCD1_EVB.
  But I couldn't find the same document for CYW94343WWCD1_EVB.
  https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cyw94343wwcd1evb-evaluation-and-develop...

This docment describes how to debug (build, start GDB, etc.)

I tried to make two project. The first is Hello project. This is only for blinking LED, and run after download.
At resut, this worked fine.

The second is Hello2 project. This is also only for blinking LED, but stop after download for next debug step.
At resut, the following error occuerred after selecting "43xx_WiFi_Debug_Windows" menu.

[New Thread -1]
    Exception condition detected on fd 760
    Remote communication error.  Target disconnected.: Success.
    Quit

<My question/request>
Please tell how I can resolve the above error and start debugging at C source level.

*Attach file contains error log, screen capture and .gdbinit contents.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thanks for the logs. The necessary drivers have been installed in your system. Firewall settings contain the necessary executables. We do not have test data for Japanese Windows 10. Can you make a few changes in your debug configuration? Please go to Debug Configuration and go to Startup tab. Perform the changes as shown in the image below:

Debug configuration Startup.png

Please revert back the settings if it still does not work. If you already have another WICED eval board, it would be recommended to test on that before purchasing CYW943907AEVAL1F.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
GauravS_31
10 questions asked 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

CYW9WCD1EVAL1.cfg basically contains the script to program the STM32 internal flash using FTDI chip which is mounted on CYW943907AEVAL1F and CYW94343WWCD1_EVB. The steps for debugging and programming are the same for CYW943907AEVAL1F and CYW94343WWCD1_EVB. Can you please change the USB cable as well as try on different USB ports?

Thank you for your comment.

I tried, but error wasn't solved (same).

And additionally, I found warning for include path which is described in problems tab, and correct. but error wasn't solved (same).

Previously, GnuC include paths referred to nonexistent paths, as shown in the discussion below.

https://community.cypress.com/thread/49237?start=0&tstart=0

pastedImage_0.png

On the other hand, by modifying only the existing path under the Win32 folder, Warning on the Problems tab disappeared, but the result did not change at all.

pastedImage_1.png

I also have the same configuration shown in "Paths and Symbols" in your first image and get the same warnings but I am still able to debug using BCM94343WWCD2. From your document, I noticed that you have given the path separation in Debug configuration using ¥. But in my setup, the path separation is done using \ as shown:

${workspace_loc}\43xxx_Wi-Fi\build\eclipse_debug\last_built.elf

${workspace_loc}\43xxx_Wi-Fi\tools\ARM_GNU\Win32\bin\arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe

This is because your Encoding defaults to Japanese MS932 but in my setup, it defaults to English Cp1252 in the "Common" tab. Which OS have you used? And just for testing purpose, what happens if you replace ¥ with \?

Thank you for your kind support.

As shown in the attached file, for the following settings, "\" is already used as a delimiter.
Note: In Japanese display mode, the backslash is displayed as a yen mark.

${workspace_loc}\43xxx_Wi-Fi\build\eclipse_debug\last_built.elf
   ${workspace_loc}\43xxx_Wi-Fi\tools\ARM_GNU\Win32\bin\arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe

As for the delimiter in "Debug Configurations", '\' is used for all.
But on the other hand, as for the delimiter in "Properties for 43xx_Wi-Fi", as shown in the attached image, '/' is used for all.
Both will be the default settings in WICED Studio.

I tried to change "Paths and Symbols" in "Properties for 43xx_Wi-Fi" dialog like the following.
But the results were the same.

[Before]
  /43xxx_Wi-Fi/Tools/ARM_GNU/Win32/arm-none-eabi/include
[After]
  \43xxx_Wi-Fi\Tools\ARM_GNU\Win32\arm-none-eabi\include

Thanks for the information. Can you try making a fresh installation of the SDK in a separate directory and check if the problem persists? If yes, please attach the openocd-log.txt file available in the WICED build directory after the debugger fails with the error. Please make a backup copy of your existing data.

0 Likes
lock attach

Thank you for your kind support!

I prepared a new PC for the investigation. The PC I was using so far is still in use for "free run" without GDB because of the my latest development.

Using this new PC (Windows 10 installed), I tried installing in the following two cases.
  case 1: Installation to the default folder
  case 2: Installation to a specific folder
        Tools are in the C:\tools \ wiced folder,
        And SDK is in C:\tools\wicedSdk folder.

As a result, errors occurred in both case 1 and case 2.

The display and log when installing case2 are attached.

1. fireWallChack.PNG
    In my install, resident security software is stopped, but Windows Defender FireWall is enabled.
    Under above condition, I got a warning from WindowsDefender.
    This warning indicated that some functions of openocd-all-brcm-libftdi.exe ware blocked.
    In this dialog, clicked the "Allow access" button and proceeded.
  2. openocd_log (OK) .txt
    This is the log when executing "Make Target" which operates for download and run without GDB.
  3. openocd_log (NG1) .txt
    This is a log just after executing "Make Target" which operates download with using GDB(-debug).
  4. openocd_log (NG2) .txt
    This is the log just after selecting the "43xx_Wi-Fi_Debug_Windows" menu after 2) above.
  5. openocd-all-brcm-libftdi_exe_halt.PNG
    This is the error displayed during the operation in 3) above.
    It informs that openocd-all-brcm-libftdi.exe has stopped.
  6. ConsoleErrorLog.txt
    This is the error displayed on the console during operation 3) above.

And I also installed it on another PC running Windows 7, and the result was the same.

<Question>
Q1.
Is it possible that the problem will be solved by downloading the firmware related to GDB to STM32 again?
If so, please tell me the procedure.
Q2.
Is the combination of the latest version of WICED Studio Ver.6.4.0.61, board CYW94343WWCD1_EVB and the Japanese version of Windows 10 has a track record of successfully operating the debug function linked with GDB?
If unconfirmed, can you introduce another evaluation board whose operation has been confirmed in combination with Japanese Windows 10?
It is desirable that the free memory capacity of the MCU is large.
The application to be developed is a mutual TLS client.

0 Likes

Thanks for the logs. On comparison, the logs appear to be similar to a working setup. If you check your firewall settings, do you see openocd-all-brcm-libftdi.exe listed?

Regarding Q1, if the driver for your WICED board is not installed correctly, the appropriate driver may need to be installed. To confirm, can you please plug your WICED board and then attach the screen shot of device manager settings? It should show the following:

WICED USB JTAG Port

WICED USB Serial Port

WICED USB Serial Port B

Regarding Q2, I re-tested with line encoding changed to MS932 but I was able to run the debugger. I will check internally if there had been any prior tests done on Japanese Windows OS. On your end, can you please check with other eval board such as CYW943907AEVAL1F or any other board if this issue is observed? I have assumed that FTDI on-board debugger had been used and not external JTAG adapter.

lock attach

>If you check your firewall settings, do you see openocd-all-brcm-libftdi.exe listed?

So far, I've tried disabling both public and private firewalls for all applications.
And this time, I've tried allowing openocd-all-brcm-libftdi.exe and arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe separately, but with the same result, I get an error.

>To confirm, can you please plug your WICED board and then attach the screen shot of device manager settings?

I've attached.

>Regarding Q2, I re-tested with line encoding changed to MS932 but I was able to run the debugger.

Thank you very much!

>I will check internally if there had been any prior tests done on Japanese Windows OS.

Thank you!

>On your end, can you please check with other eval board such as CYW943907AEVAL1F or any other board if this issue is observed?

I would like to purchase an additional CYW943907AEVAL1F to avoid this issue.

0 Likes

Thanks for the logs. The necessary drivers have been installed in your system. Firewall settings contain the necessary executables. We do not have test data for Japanese Windows 10. Can you make a few changes in your debug configuration? Please go to Debug Configuration and go to Startup tab. Perform the changes as shown in the image below:

Debug configuration Startup.png

Please revert back the settings if it still does not work. If you already have another WICED eval board, it would be recommended to test on that before purchasing CYW943907AEVAL1F.

0 Likes

Thank you for your kind and powerful support!

Thanks to your advice, the debugger started without error and the various debug functions started working properly.

When I start debugging, it breaks at crt0_GCC.c, but when I set a breakpoint on my source to be debugged and run again, it breaks at that line. And after that, Step Into, Step Over, Step Return, and variable reference are also operating normally!

I repeat, thank you!

0 Likes