PSoC4-BLE project on CYBLE-212020 can not connect via BLE

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AnKr_1499391
Level 3
Level 3
First like received First like given

I have a very strange fault and I don't know where to look for the cause! So any suggestions are welcome.

The situation is this: I have a rather big project running on a PSoC4-BLE module (CY8CKIT-143A). On the PSoC4 everything runs smooth and the performance is great.

Now I wanted to port this project on a CYBLE-212020 module because I wanted to go for a smaller footprint.

I use the PSoC-Creator and adjusted the device to the CYBLE-212020.

The project compiles and it seems like everything runs fine. It is a FreeRTOS project with several tasks, that appear to work with a fine timing.

But my problem is the BLE-connection:

When I try to connect with my smartphone I get an "0x85 GATT ERROR" and my device is disconnected.

After several attemps I can sometimes connect, but this is not the performance that I want.

What did I try?

I adjusted the timing of the BLE-component (connection interval).

I adjusted the sleepmodes of the BLE-component and the other parts from DEEPSLEEP to SLEEP.

I tried to add and remove some other tasks to test the principle timing and function of FreeRTOS.

Finally I have no idea what the problem is and I have no idea where I could search for the cause!

Anyone with a good idea?

Thanks

Andreas

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

We have reproduced the issue, we will discuss it with Product Development Team.

Setting the ECO Capacitance trim values in the firmware might helps. For all the EZ-BLE modules, the trim values should be changed to the values provided by module’s datasheet. Please refer to the below KBA link.

Link: https://community.cypress.com/docs/DOC-10498

Thanks,

P Yugandhar.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Andreas,

CYBLE-212020 uses PSoC 4 BLE only. So ideally there should not be any differences.

1. Are you using latest version of PSoC Creator and latest version of BLE component i,e v3.64 in your application? If not, please update the components.

2. Are you using custom board or Eval board from Cypress? If you are using custom board, please send the schematic of the board that contains CYBLE-212020.

3. Can you please try if you are able to run PSoC BLE find me code example successfully on your board that contains CYBLE-212020?

4. If possible can you please attach a dummy project that reproduces the issue? If not possible, please send us the BLE configuration. You can save your project BLE configuration from save icon present in the BLE component GUI as shown below:

entire_config.PNG

5. What is the software that you are using in your smart phone? and the version of it?

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes

Hi Ganesh,

thanks for your answer. Here is the update on the information:

1. I'm already using PSoC-Creator 4.3 on Win7 and I'm using the latest version of the BLE component.

2. I'm using the CYBLE-212020-EVAL Board in the CY8CKIT-042-BLE Pioneer Baseboard. (Jumper J3 and J6 connected, J5 open)

3. I used this Find-Me Example from Github: "https://github.com/cypresssemiconductorco/PSoC-4-BLE/tree/master/100_Projects_in_100_Days/Day001_Fin..." . Then I changed the device to the CYBLE-212020 and I got the same error. In the original github-example the BLE-component is 3.3, So I updated it and I still got the same error.

4. Maybe not needed anymore, because the example shows the same behaviour.

5. On smartphone-side I used Samsung S7 with Android 8.0.0 and Huawei P30 pro with Android 10.0. The error "0x85 GATT ERROR" is only shown in the nRF Connect app on both phones. The CySmart app says "Unable to pair. Check wether the device is advertising and supports pairing." Also on both phones.

I remembered that I have an "old" project with the CYBLE-212020 module in my cabinet. This software was build in February 2019 and works very fine. I don't know the version of the PSoC-Creator and the component then, but I guess it was nearly up to date. I usually update the software a month or so after it is announced.

Thanks

Andreas

0 Likes

Hello,

I have tested the project with CYBLE-214015-01 module (currently i don't have CYBLE-212020 module) and it is working fine. I'm not getting error 0x85 GATT ERR in nRF Connect app. Could you please check with any other example project in the PSoC Creator and let me know your observations ? Also, please check with some other phones.

Thanks,

P Yugandhar.

0 Likes

Hello,

I also have one CYBLE-214015-01 module here and the example project  works as smooth as it should work. Both with the nRF App as well as with other smartphones and apps. Connection is established within seconds, but not so with the PRoC module!

I think the problem must be somewhere in the "code generation" for the PRoC modules in the latest PSoC-Creator and the libraries. Because I also have a programmed CYBLE-212020 module which I have programmed over a year ago and this also works fine.

Thanks

Andreas

0 Likes

Hello,

I had tested the project with CYBLE-022001-00 PRoC Module also and it is working fine. If you have any other CYBLE-212020 module please check with it and let me know the observations.

If possible, could you please send the screenshots of the error which observed in nRF connect App and Cysmart App ?

Thanks,
P Yugandhar.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi,

I just tested the issue with the CYBLE-212020 again and I could reproduce the effect, although there seems to be a connection established for a few seconds before it fails again.

Unfortunately I have no other PRoC module to test with. But I created a log-file with the CySmart-App and the nRF-App.

I added the logfiles from both apps as text-files. The zip-file contains a complete bundle of the build-environment. Maybe you can compare it with your generated output on your machine?

And then there are a few screenshots from the apps.

I hope this helps!

Thanks and best regards

Andreas

0 Likes

Hello,

We have reproduced the issue, we will discuss it with Product Development Team.

Setting the ECO Capacitance trim values in the firmware might helps. For all the EZ-BLE modules, the trim values should be changed to the values provided by module’s datasheet. Please refer to the below KBA link.

Link: https://community.cypress.com/docs/DOC-10498

Thanks,

P Yugandhar.

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to set the ECO capacitance trim values.

0 Likes