Does USB Alt Mode Billboard connection need to be persistent after entering Alt Mode?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KyTr_1955226
Level 6
Level 6
250 sign-ins 10 likes given 50 solutions authored

Quick question regarding Alt mode for USB-DP dongles.

From what I understand, the Billboard device must present in order to negotiate the PD settings and enter Alt mode for USB-C to Displayport functionality.

Does this connection need to be persistent after alt mode has been entered?  I.E. if I wanted to use the USB 2.0 connection for another device after entering alt. mode via a USB mux, is this something that can be done?  Or will the device fall out of alt mode if the billboard device is disconnected?

Help is most appreciated!

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
KyTr_1955226
Level 6
Level 6

According to the USB-C Spec:

Successfully entering an Alternate Mode may be predicated on only one of the available modes being successfully recognized by a host. In this case, the device is not required to expose but may still expose a USB Billboard Device Classinterface to indicate to the host the availability and status of the modes it supports.

The host may send an Enter Mode after tAMETimeout. If the device enters the mode, it shall respond with an ACK and discontinue exposing the USB Billboard Device Classinterface. The device may expose the USB Billboard Device Classinterface again with updated capabilities.

So if I'm reading this right, exposure of the USB Billboard Device Classinterface is optional after Alternate Mode has been entered.  Unless I hear differently, this is what I'll assume is the case.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
KyTr_1955226
Level 6
Level 6

According to the USB-C Spec:

Successfully entering an Alternate Mode may be predicated on only one of the available modes being successfully recognized by a host. In this case, the device is not required to expose but may still expose a USB Billboard Device Classinterface to indicate to the host the availability and status of the modes it supports.

The host may send an Enter Mode after tAMETimeout. If the device enters the mode, it shall respond with an ACK and discontinue exposing the USB Billboard Device Classinterface. The device may expose the USB Billboard Device Classinterface again with updated capabilities.

So if I'm reading this right, exposure of the USB Billboard Device Classinterface is optional after Alternate Mode has been entered.  Unless I hear differently, this is what I'll assume is the case.

0 Likes

Hi ,

Your understand is correct.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes