【CYBT-343026-01】About power control step

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
YoJa_3107936
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
100 sign-ins 50 sign-ins First like given

Hi everyone

The customer would like to confirm the below questions.

1, According to datasheet, there is a "PowerControlStep" item in Txpower of Classic Bluetooth,

but there is no such item in the TxPower column of BLE.

Could you tell me the reason?

2, Minimum is 2dB, so does it mean that the minimum step can be changed in 2dB units?

>https://community.cypress.com/community/wiced-studio-blueooth/wiced-studio-bluetooth-forums/blog/201...

> Power should be a multiple of 4 from +8 dBm to -16 dBm, i.e. power can be +8, +4, 0, -4, -8, -12, -16 dBm.

But on this site, I can only set it in units of 4dB,

so the PowerControlStep min 2dB in the data sheet can't be realized?

Please teach if there is another method to change the output.

3, Regarding the TxPower in the data sheet, you can see the notation of

odd output of EDR 9dBm (typ), BLE 9dBm (max).

What kind of command is required to realize the data sheet output?

Thanks

Yang

0 Likes
1 Solution
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi Yang,

pastedImage_0.png

As mentioned in datasheet (refer above table), typical Tx power for EDR is 9 dBm. 2 is the power control step, not the Tx power. But practically, you can set the Tx power with step of 4 as mentioned in the blog Configuring Transmit (Tx) power on the CYW20706.

You can use the APIs mentioned in this blog to set this Tx power.

For BLE, we have mentioned the Tx power in datasheet:

pastedImage_3.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi Yang,

pastedImage_0.png

As mentioned in datasheet (refer above table), typical Tx power for EDR is 9 dBm. 2 is the power control step, not the Tx power. But practically, you can set the Tx power with step of 4 as mentioned in the blog Configuring Transmit (Tx) power on the CYW20706.

You can use the APIs mentioned in this blog to set this Tx power.

For BLE, we have mentioned the Tx power in datasheet:

pastedImage_3.png

YoJa_3107936
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
100 sign-ins 50 sign-ins First like given

Hi SheetalJ_96

Thank you for your cooperation.

I have already checked the DataSheet but you haven't answered my question.

Change the question.

1. There is no [Power Controle Step] item in the "Chipset BLE RF Specifications" table, could you tell me why?

2. >2 is the power control step, not the Tx power. But practically, you can set the Tx power with step of 4 as mentioned in the blog.

I know [power control step] is not [Tx power]. You mean that I can't set the Tx power with step of 2 as mentioned in the blog, is it right?

3. I want to test TxPower about EDR 9dBm (typ), BLE 9dBm (max).

What value should be set?

>wiced_result_t wiced_bt_dev_set_adv_tx_power( int power );

>wiced_result_t wiced_bt_dev_set_tx_power( wiced_bt_device_address_t bd_addr , int power );

Thanks

Yang

0 Likes

Hi Yang,

Following are the answers to your queries:

1. I am not sure why the power control step is not mentioned for BLE specifications. But you can change it in step of 4 as mentioned in blog.

2. Yes right.

3. By default, the Tx power for BLE is 9 dBm. I think you should get value 9 if you try reading it. However, using the API, not sure what value should be given. Can you try setting it to 8 or 12 & then check how much you are getting? Is there any specific requirement for your application for 9 dBm?

Regards,
Sheetal