Program not saved to PSoC 4 Flash while using MiniProg3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NaJa_4363881
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 5 replies posted

Hello!

I am using CY8C4014FNI-421AT (PSoC 4 WLCSP) device for I2C communication with a decoder on my prototype board.

I was trying to program my PSoC 4 device on the board using MiniProg3, but I keep losing the program during the power cycle. Based on the observations, I could see that the program is not saved to the PSoC Device flash and I have to program the device every time I reset / power down and restart the device.

But using the CY8CKIT-040, I could see that the program gets saved in the Flash and hence re-runs successfully after switching off and on the device.

I tried boot loadable option but still couldn't restore the program upon reset or device power down.

It will be great if someone could review and advise me on how I can save the program to PSoC 4 device flash so that I only need to program the device once using MiniProg3.

MiniProg3 Specifications:

Programming mode: Power cycle (As PSoC 4 WLCSP doesn't have XRES reset pin)

Protocol: SWD

Voltage: 3.3 V

Best Regards,

Nandhini Jayapandian

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello.

With PSoC Vddd at 3.3V, there should be no other connection to Vccd pin except a 0.1uF capacitor.  See datasheet, Power chapter.

1) Remove the 1.8V regulator connection to PSoC 4014 Vccd pin.

2) Ensure the 0.1uF capacitor is still connected to Vccd pin.

And now you should have a working solution with Miniprog3.

When powering PSoC 4014 with Vddd at 1.8V, you can (it's an option) connect Vccd to the 1.8V regulator.  It's also recommended to disable the internal PSoC 1.8V regulator as detailed in datasheet Power chapter when PSoC 4014 is powered with Vddd at 1.8V.

Let us know how it works out.

Good luck with your project.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

Since your project is working on the development kit but not working on your board, we are suspecting that there might be an issue with the schematic. Please attach the schematic to check. Or if you dont want to share, please compare it with CY8C4014FNI-421AT kit's schematic.

If schematic is fine and the issue is there, please program a simple blinky project and see if the device operation retains over the power cycle.

In case the blinky project also wont work after the power cycle, please send us a video showing how you are actually programming and testing.

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes

Hello,

Below provided is the PSoC 4 schematic. Kindly review and let me know about any further concerns.

Note:

(1) As PSoC 4 WLCSP (CY8C4014FNI-421AT) device which doesn't have an external reset pin (XRES), I am shorting all the 3.3 V pins together (VCC_PSoC) and isolated it from 1.8 V (VCCD) via voltage regulator so that while using MiniProg3 in Powercycle mode, I can power down and switch on the entire device uniformly in a way similar to the Reset programming mode.

(2) I am shorting pins A3 to B3 and C3 with C4 pins due to manufacturing difficulties in accessing required pins.

Best Regards,

Nandhini Jayapandian

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

Hello.

With PSoC Vddd at 3.3V, there should be no other connection to Vccd pin except a 0.1uF capacitor.  See datasheet, Power chapter.

1) Remove the 1.8V regulator connection to PSoC 4014 Vccd pin.

2) Ensure the 0.1uF capacitor is still connected to Vccd pin.

And now you should have a working solution with Miniprog3.

When powering PSoC 4014 with Vddd at 1.8V, you can (it's an option) connect Vccd to the 1.8V regulator.  It's also recommended to disable the internal PSoC 1.8V regulator as detailed in datasheet Power chapter when PSoC 4014 is powered with Vddd at 1.8V.

Let us know how it works out.

Good luck with your project.

0 Likes

Hello,

Thank you very much. The workaround you suggested helped resolve the issue.

Best Regards,

Nandhini Jayapandian

0 Likes