FX3 used I2C-program download firmware,the Cypress FX3 USB Boot Programmer Device cannot enumerate

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
wech_4667406
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone:

I met a problem.I used the FX3 (CY3014) to realize the usb app.

The boot model is that I2C first,if failed,then boot the usb bootloader device.The Usb control center can get the usb bootloader device.

1.jpg

But after program I2C .The Usb control center cannot get the USB Boot Programmer Device.There is nothing.

2.jpg

So I check the power and clock,and all is right.And this problem is apperred 5 of 30 PCBAs.Not all PCBA.

What's the reason ? What's defferent between bootloader and bootprogrammer?Why the PC can get  bootloader device but can't get bootprogrammer device?

Please help,thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
YashwantK_46
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 50 likes received

Hello,

Have you tested all your PCB's with the same PC?

The Bootloader device is the default state of the kit, without any firmware which can be programmed either to RAM, or EEPROM or FLASH.

The BootProgrammer Device is like any other firmware and when you select the I2C EEPROM option on Program menu in the control centre, the control center application firstly loads the CyBootProgrammer.img present in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\bin

This BootProgrammer image can then be used to program the EEPROM or FLASH that is on board and writes the firmware image that you want to store in them.

The reasons for BootProgrammer device not coming up can be either related to the driver, incorrectly, binding to the BootProgrammer device or it can be because of some issue with the board.

Since you mentioned that only 5 out of 30 boards are failing, can you please try un-binding the driver in the device menu for the BootProgrammer device and then re-binding it to the device again?

Do the following to bind the driver manually:

1.   Right-click the device and select Update Driver Software. Choose Browse my computer for driver software.

2.   Browse to the location <Install Directory>\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\driver\bin. The default install directory is C:\Program Files for 32-bit Windows and C:\Program Files (x86) for 64-bit Windows.

3.  Select a driver based on your Windows version and click Next. For example, the driver for 64-bit Windows 7 is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\driver\bin\

Also, can you please try programming the boards on a different host PC as well?

This will help understand if this is an issue with the host PC or the if it the issue with those PCB's alone.

Regards,

Yashwant

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
YashwantK_46
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 50 likes received

Hello,

Have you tested all your PCB's with the same PC?

The Bootloader device is the default state of the kit, without any firmware which can be programmed either to RAM, or EEPROM or FLASH.

The BootProgrammer Device is like any other firmware and when you select the I2C EEPROM option on Program menu in the control centre, the control center application firstly loads the CyBootProgrammer.img present in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\bin

This BootProgrammer image can then be used to program the EEPROM or FLASH that is on board and writes the firmware image that you want to store in them.

The reasons for BootProgrammer device not coming up can be either related to the driver, incorrectly, binding to the BootProgrammer device or it can be because of some issue with the board.

Since you mentioned that only 5 out of 30 boards are failing, can you please try un-binding the driver in the device menu for the BootProgrammer device and then re-binding it to the device again?

Do the following to bind the driver manually:

1.   Right-click the device and select Update Driver Software. Choose Browse my computer for driver software.

2.   Browse to the location <Install Directory>\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\driver\bin. The default install directory is C:\Program Files for 32-bit Windows and C:\Program Files (x86) for 64-bit Windows.

3.  Select a driver based on your Windows version and click Next. For example, the driver for 64-bit Windows 7 is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\driver\bin\

Also, can you please try programming the boards on a different host PC as well?

This will help understand if this is an issue with the host PC or the if it the issue with those PCB's alone.

Regards,

Yashwant

0 Likes