Cypress wifi sdio

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
abso_4466056
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

Hello,

Is Cypress CYW43362 sdio compatible with

SD Specifications

Part E7 Wireless LAN Simplified Addendum

Version 1.10

Thanks.

0 Likes
7 Replies
RaktimR_11
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

Hi there!

CYW43362 is compliant with SDIO 2.0 specification. We have not really tried to check the compliance of CYW43362 as an i-SDIO card.

On a very top-level, if I do a basic check of the iSDIO spec, CYW43362 does not comply with the SD filesystem as defined in SD PART2. Although, most of the networking components are supported through a separate host (leveraging WICED stack and MAC, PHY in CYW43362), because of the filesystem incapability, we can't really classify CYW43362 as a Type-D iSDIO card.

Thanks

But I want develop a driver for CYW43362 ,now witch sd specifications of SDIO should I use?

0 Likes

SDIO 2.0

Although, I am not so sure if I understand you clearly. Do you mean to say that you need to develop the sdio driver of host mcu?

If yes, WICED SDK already has support for most of the standard architectures. For the SDIO device (CYW43362), driver is already developed and embedded inside the firmware. As a developer, you don't need to worry about SDIO driver for device mode since that is already taken care of in the .bin file CY provides.

Yes I saw wiced studio and used it . But I want develop a driver for  CYW43362  becauseI developed a new rtos and tcp/ip stack by c++ for cortex m microcontroller and I want port it to CYW43362

0 Likes

That's great to know. May be you can give your rtos and tcp/ip stack a run with PSoC6 based devices which is supported through ModusToolbox​, an Eclipse based eco-system which allows you to integrate your own os/ns combo. We even provide you with an abstraction layer for the rtos to accelerate the development process. https://github.com/cypresssemiconductorco/abstraction-rtos

Because if you have seen WICED Studio, you would realize that the rtos and tcp/ip stack runs on the host MCU, not on CYW43362. The cortex m3 running inside CYW43362 is solely dedicated on to implement the mac and phy of 802.11 stack. There is no way for an end-user to run a different OS/NS inside the WLAN chip; in this case CYW43362.

Thanks for reply and guide. Yes I know and my new os and tcp stack implemented on stm32f746 disco board . But now I want connect my board to network by wifi . Some of wifi modules interface is uart like esp modules . But I want use Cypress wifi and I saw interface of Cypress wifi to host is sdio . Now I want connect

CYW43362 to my board without using wiced sdk.now i want to know is CYW43362 compatible with isdio specification and can I use from sdio specification to connect CYW43362 to my board by SDIO?

Thanks again for your help.

0 Likes

As far as I can understand, the answer is 'no'; isdio cards have some extra logic whereby you just write to the flash memory, and the data is magically transported over the network.

The 43xxx chips don't have that functionality; they do have an SDIO interface, but it just serves as a data link between the host CPU and a CPU in the WiFi chip. Before doing any network accesses, you have to boot that CPU with a 300K firmware image, then do IOCTL calls & data transfers to communicate with the firmware. This process is very complicated, which is why Cypress have created WICED to house all the necessary functionality, but if you're curious about how the low-level interface works, see https://iosoft.blog/zerowi/

If you can't use WICED, take a look at the Cypress WiFi Host Driver; it is a relatively compact project which supports most 43xxx chips: Wi-Fi Host Driver (WHD): Main Page

0 Likes