Representing a 28-bit bus on the PSoC5

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
loac_4181281
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to use a PSoC5 in a project where it will be controlling a chip that uses it's own 28-bit parallel bus. How would I go about representing a non-standard (as in non SPI, I2C, etc.) type of bus on the PSoC5? Do I need to connect each of the 28 lines from the chip to an I/O pin on the PSoC? Has anyone done something like this before? The data sheet for the component I am trying to work with is here: https://ams.com/documents/20143/36005/TDC-GPX_DS000321_1-00.pdf/0b5268df-ea27-b5c6-87cd-e8605aa2c819

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

loac,

If the 28-bit data is being latched in the TDC-GPX, then 28-bit parallel access by the PSoC is fairly simple.

Here's a pic of a TopDesign schematic entry using 4 ports (0, 2, 12, and 15) in contiguous mode.

pastedImage_1.png

Here's a pic of the assignment of these ports to ports and pins.

pastedImage_2.png

Here's a code fragment of rading and writing the 28-bit variable in the PSoC.  (Note:  You have to follow the TDC-GPX write/read addressing protocol.)

uint32 data_28bit;

// Read the four ports are one 28-bit value.

data_28bit = (Pin_B3_Read()<<24)+ (Pin_B2_Read()<<16) + (Pin_B1_Read()<<8) + Pin_B0_Read();

// Write the four ports are one 28-bit value.

(Pin_B3_Write((data_28bit>>24)&0xFF)); (Pin_B2_Write((data_28bit>>24)&0xFF)); (Pin_B1_Write((data_28bit>>8)&0xFF)); Pin_B0_Write(data_28bit&0xFF);

If the TDC-GPX doesn't not latch the data, there are some additional circuits needed.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

loac,

If the 28-bit data is being latched in the TDC-GPX, then 28-bit parallel access by the PSoC is fairly simple.

Here's a pic of a TopDesign schematic entry using 4 ports (0, 2, 12, and 15) in contiguous mode.

pastedImage_1.png

Here's a pic of the assignment of these ports to ports and pins.

pastedImage_2.png

Here's a code fragment of rading and writing the 28-bit variable in the PSoC.  (Note:  You have to follow the TDC-GPX write/read addressing protocol.)

uint32 data_28bit;

// Read the four ports are one 28-bit value.

data_28bit = (Pin_B3_Read()<<24)+ (Pin_B2_Read()<<16) + (Pin_B1_Read()<<8) + Pin_B0_Read();

// Write the four ports are one 28-bit value.

(Pin_B3_Write((data_28bit>>24)&0xFF)); (Pin_B2_Write((data_28bit>>24)&0xFF)); (Pin_B1_Write((data_28bit>>8)&0xFF)); Pin_B0_Write(data_28bit&0xFF);

If the TDC-GPX doesn't not latch the data, there are some additional circuits needed.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

loac,

I looked into chip datasheet, and the bus seems to be heterogeneous, so some sections of it can be read independently, for example as 4x8-bit buses, or more buses of smaller size, logically divided among 28 lines. Reading 8-bit bus can be done directly from pins if they are placed continuously (a single port). Smaller buses can be routed to the Status Registers.

What I am trying to convey here is that reading all 28 lines in a single blob, and then parsing the bits may be the not efficient way of communicating with this chip.

/odissey1

PS. Nice chip, BTW. 40 years ago it was whole rack of electronics to accomplish such job.

0 Likes