CYPD3177 Max/Min Current Request

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AdBi_4635021
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted First like received First reply posted

When I set the voltage dividers for Isnk COarse/Fine, am I setting the maximum current allowed through the power path or is this the minimum?  I have a CYPD4533 evaluation kit and I have modified the Isnk dividers with 5k/2.4k Ohm resistors to give 2A Coarse and 500mA Fine, yet I am able to pull currents both above and below this level depending on my load.  Am I misunderstanding what is being set with these dividers, I thought this set the maximum current load through the power path?

0 Likes
1 Solution
YiZ_31
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hi,

This is the requested current value used in CC communication. You can check this if you have a CC sniffer like CY4500. BCR do not have OCP feature, so it cannot cut off the VBUS path when current is higher.

Regards,
Eddie

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
YiZ_31

Hi,

This is the requested current value used in CC communication. You can check this if you have a CC sniffer like CY4500. BCR do not have OCP feature, so it cannot cut off the VBUS path when current is higher.

Regards,
Eddie

0 Likes

Hi Eddie,

So this is requesting a certain amount, but I could get more or less than this based on what my downstream load is sinking?  The resistor divider then, and the BCR, do not actually restrict the current at all then?  If my adapter cannot source the requested current, I will still be able to charge, just at the lower level the adapter can provide?

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi,

Actually your adapter side can detect the OCP event. BCR schematic actually do not have a resistor devidor. VBUS_IN pin is used for voltage monitoring. If your adapter can not source the requested current, then it will advertise this information in its PDO. BCR'll request this PDO with the maximum operating current it can get.

0 Likes