FX3 debug firmware load speed

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
WGT_4383351
Level 5
Level 5
First like received

When debug the default USBBulkSourceSinkLED project, it takes 10-20 seconds to load the firmware to board, and printing messages like "Loading section *** ".

JTAG Speed is 1Mbps which can load 100KB of firmware in 1 second, what is the reason for this?

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hello,

That doc that you are referring to is old and Zylin Embedded debug (Native) is no longer supported.

Please refer to section 3 of the attached document which explains about the available debug method in the FX3 SDK as of now, Segger J-Link and OpenOCD.

The document can also be found at the path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\doc\firmware\EzusbSuite_UG.pdf

You can use OpenOCD instead of Zylin Embedded debug (Native) to debug your firmware and check if there is a satisfactory result with it.

Please follow the user guide strictly.

Regards,

Yashwant

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
YashwantK_46
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 50 likes received

Hello,

Please refer to the following path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\doc\firmware\EzUsbSuite_UG.pdf

Please follow section 3.1 of the following guide which explains the correct way to set up a J-Link segger debugger perspective and the way to configure the debugger for the EzUsbSuite.

I have tried to load the debug perspective of the project that you have mentioned and i didn't see any load time more than 8 seconds on my end.

I couldn't see any message like "Loading section *** " in the console while the debug configuration was being launched.

Could you please share a snapshot of the the message that you see above?

Are you trying it over the FX3 SuperSpeed Explorer Board or is it a custom board?

Regards,

Yashwant

0 Likes

This is confusing, what I read is "Doc. # 001-93186 Rev. *A" - "SuperSpeed Explorer Kit User Guide", are the too doc same about JTAG and debug?

0 Likes

I'm using CYUSB3KIT-003.

Example of messages:

Loading section i.CyU3PDmaChannelSetupRecvBuffer, size 0x220 lma 0x4000860c

26+download,{section="i.CyU3PDmaChannelSetupRecvBuffer",section-size="544",total-size="714397"}

~"Loading section i.CyU3PDmaChannelSuspendUsbConsumer, size 0xec lma 0x4000882c\n"

Loading section i.CyU3PDmaChannelSuspendUsbConsumer, size 0xec lma 0x4000882c

26+download,{section="i.CyU3PDmaChannelSuspendUsbConsumer",section-size="236",total-size="714397"}

tons of them....

Start address 0x4000c0e8, load size 124848

~"Transfer rate: 4 KB/sec, 365 bytes/write.\n"

Transfer rate: 4 KB/sec, 365 bytes/write.

26^done

(gdb)

4 KB/sec? Is this the problem?

0 Likes

Hello,

Please refer to the following path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\doc\firmware\EzUsbSuite_UG.pdf

Please refer to section 3 of the above document which explains about the two JTAG debugging methods that are supported FX3 along with the correct debug configurations that need to be set up before you start debugging.

Also, can you confirm if you are using Segger J-Link or OpenOCD to debug your board currentlu=y?

The timing that I shared above was using Segger J-link debugger.

Regards,
Yashwant

0 Likes
WGT_4383351
Level 5
Level 5
First like received

What I read is "SuperSpeed Explorer Kit User Guide.pdf" which said "Double-click Zylin Embedded debug (Native)" Can you verify whether this is obsoleted?

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hello,

That doc that you are referring to is old and Zylin Embedded debug (Native) is no longer supported.

Please refer to section 3 of the attached document which explains about the available debug method in the FX3 SDK as of now, Segger J-Link and OpenOCD.

The document can also be found at the path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\doc\firmware\EzusbSuite_UG.pdf

You can use OpenOCD instead of Zylin Embedded debug (Native) to debug your firmware and check if there is a satisfactory result with it.

Please follow the user guide strictly.

Regards,

Yashwant

0 Likes