Reset command after polling DQ5 failure in Parallel NOR Flash program/erase op?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
yuxi_3250341
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

Hi there,

For S29JL064J, if the Data# Polling Algorithm (which polls DQ7 and DQ5) after the current Word Program op gives me DQ5=1 failure, then according to datasheet, "the system must write the reset command to return to the read mode".

My questions are:

1, After this reset command, is it OK that I immediately issue the next Word Program operation at the next word address? If so, what will happen? Is this an acceptable operation flow?

2, Similarly, if polling gives DQ5=1 after a Sector Erase, can I send in Reset Command and immediately do Sector Erase at the next sector address?

3, If after program or erase of a certain address, the polling gives DQ5=1, then how should I deal with this address? Should I just abandon it and never use it again, or try to program/erase this address again?

4, If program or erase op polls DQ5 = 1 and I send in a reset command, then how much time do I have to wait before I start a next program/erase/read operation? For Hardware Reset (RESET# pin) op there's the tRH timing spec; is there such a similar "minimum time requiement" after Reset Command?

5, Do the above rules apply to S29JL064H, S29GL256P, S29gl01GT as well?

Thanks & BR

xieyl

Feb 28, 2020

0 Likes
1 Solution
SudheeshK
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hello,

Please find the answers for your queries below.

1&2. Yes, you can initiate a new program or erase operation immediately after the software reset command. Please make sure that you follow all of the timing specs for a write operation while sending the reset command.

4. Please follow all the required timing specs for a write operations while sending reset command. There are no other timing requirements.

5. Yes, our devices will behave similarly. You can refer our low level driver for our parallel NOR flash devices for the implementation of different functions and write your own application. It is available at: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/low-level-driver-nor-flash?source=search&... ​.

I will get back to with answer for your 3rd query as soon as possible.

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
SudheeshK
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hello,

Please find the answers for your queries below.

1&2. Yes, you can initiate a new program or erase operation immediately after the software reset command. Please make sure that you follow all of the timing specs for a write operation while sending the reset command.

4. Please follow all the required timing specs for a write operations while sending reset command. There are no other timing requirements.

5. Yes, our devices will behave similarly. You can refer our low level driver for our parallel NOR flash devices for the implementation of different functions and write your own application. It is available at: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/low-level-driver-nor-flash?source=search&... ​.

I will get back to with answer for your 3rd query as soon as possible.

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes

Hi Sudheesh,

Thank you for your careful response; I'll wait for your further information.

xieyl

Feb 28, 2020

0 Likes

Hello,

Please find the answer for your remaining query below.

3. Timeout error (DQ5 = 1) will happen in 2 scenarios.

a. Trying to program 1 to a location already programmed with 0.

b. The sector being programmed/erased is wearing out and may be permanently damaged.

If a sector reports DQ5 =1 (Timeout error) during a program/erase operation, we suggest you to perform the program/erase operation a second time, if it still fails (DQ5 =1), then the contents of the failed sector must be moved to another sector. The failing sector should then be considered as bad and removed from the pool of valid sectors.

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes

Hi Sudheesh, thank you for your careful explanations!

Best Regards,

xieyl

March 02. 2020

0 Likes