BLE Proximity Profile for CY8CKIT-062

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
CoCo_1816446
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

So I know the ble_proximity_reporter project included in WICED Studio 6.4 isn't meant for the CY8CKIT-062. I am currently going through the code trying to figure out a way to get this project to work on this board. I was wondering if there is any hardware issue that would prevent this project from working on the CY8CKIT-062? For my project, I need BLE, Wi-Fi and proximity detection.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: Upon digging into the code I found this function:

TODO Proximity Function.PNG

Can anyone tell me when this function might become available? This function is critical to my project.

0 Likes
1 Solution

I finally got this all sorted out. I should of defined my question a little better. I was trying to use wiced_bt_dev_read_tx_power() to determine the distance between Tx and Rx. I now realize that I need to read the received signal, not the transmitted signal. Therefore the correct function to use is wiced_bt_dev_read_rssi(). It all seems so simple now! Thank you for your help and patience. I'm still new to embedded development.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi CoCo_1816446​,

There is no hardware limitation on CY8CKIT_062 board for making ble_proximity_reporter project work. You can add the platform support for 062 board in make file and use the app.

0 Likes

SheetalJ_96 I've done this. However, the project won't run properly. I'm trying to work my way through the code now to try to get it to work.

0 Likes

Hi CoCo_1816446,

wiced_bt_dev_read_tx_power() function is implemented for stand-alone Bluetooth chips. However I can't tell the exact timeline for the function implementation for CY8CKIT-062. If you have critical requirement of this function, please contact Cypress Marketing team.

Also, could you please tell me where you are getting stuck while testing the project? Is it compiling and downloading without error?

Sorry for the delay of my response.

I am able to compile and download the project without a problem. My issue is that the function is empty so when the project makes a call to wiced_bt_dev_read_tx_power() it doesn't actually read the power. For my project, I need to know when the power gets to a certain point so I can begin the execution of another function.

Could you tell me how to get in contact with the marketing team?

0 Likes

wiced_bt_dev_read_tx_power() calls the callback ble_proximity_tx_power_callback in ble_proximity_reporter example where it prints the Tx power. Can you check if it is working for you?

0 Likes

Yes, It does successfully enter into ble_proximity_tx_power_callback()

0 Likes

I still need the function. I can't find any contact info through the website.

Could you tell me how to contact the marketing team?

0 Likes

When I try using the support section. I am redirected back to the dev community forums. The alternative is to submit a MyCase but, that doesn't seem like what MyCase is made for. Is there any way you could inquire about the dev timeline for this function or tell me how to get in contact with someone from the dev team?

0 Likes

You need to reach out to your local Cypress Sales team locally in TX.  You may only know the local distributor (Arrow/Future, etc.), but they will know the sales team.

Our FAE will contact you then create the necessary request for the business unit ("Marketing").

I will also contact the team with your contact information.

SheetalJ_96

0 Likes
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi CoCo_1816446​,

The output power level for BLE is fixed. It is set to 4dBm for adv packets and 10dBm for LE connection mode. There is no way to change the tx power using API or function; this needs to be done in firmware. Regarding implementation of wiced_bt_dev_read_tx_power() API, I will check with our software team. Please refer SFDC case you have created for following up this issue.

I finally got this all sorted out. I should of defined my question a little better. I was trying to use wiced_bt_dev_read_tx_power() to determine the distance between Tx and Rx. I now realize that I need to read the received signal, not the transmitted signal. Therefore the correct function to use is wiced_bt_dev_read_rssi(). It all seems so simple now! Thank you for your help and patience. I'm still new to embedded development.

0 Likes

Yes iced_bt_dev_read_rssi() will work for your application. Glad it worked for you!

0 Likes