An event that occurs when CYW4343W hangs

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
yasa_4608926
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
250 sign-ins 5 solutions authored 25 replies posted

Hi,

I am evaluating the FMAC driver using following.

- FMAC v4.14.77-2019_0503

- CYW4343W (SDIO)

- Ubuntu 16.04

I would like to implement the recovery operation when CYW4343W(firmware) hangs or freezes.

I have a few questions.

Is there an event(or interrupt) that occurs when CYW4343W(firmware) hangs or freezes?

If there is no event, How can I know that a hang or freeze has occurred?

I think a timeout error will occur in the SDIO driver if there is no response from the CYW4343W(firmware) for some reason.

Is this correct?

Best regards,

Yasa

0 Likes
1 Solution

Also when a firmware freezes, the message "resumed on timeout" is observed in the console. This is called by brcmf_sdio_bus_rxctl(). There could be a firmware trap indicated by brcmf_sdio_checkdied(). You can obtain WLAN firmware logs for further debugging by enabling the debug flag BRCMF_FWCON_VAL or 0x00100000 during WLAN bring-up or insmod brcmfmac.ko debug=0x00100000.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
GauravS_31
10 questions asked 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

1. If the firmware hangs, it will not respond to the IOVAR calls from the driver. Here is the sequence of calls from IOVAR being set:

brcmf_fil_iovar_int_set() fwil.c

brcmf_fil_iovar_data_set() fwil.c

brcmf_fil_cmd_data() fwil.c

brcmf_proto_set_dcmd() fwil.c

brcmf_proto_bcdc_msg() bcdc.c

brcmf_bus_txctl() bcdc.c

brcmf_sdio_bus_txctl() sdio.c

You can consider debugging along the path. You can consider enabling the following debug flags in debug.h:

BRCMF_SDIO_VAL

BRCMF_FIL_VAL

Also there is brcmf_sdiod_ib_irqhandler() and brcmf_sdiod_oob_irqhandler() for in-band and OOB interrupts respectively. You can enable BRCMF_INTR_VAL to enable interrupt debugging.

2. Yes. There is timeout error -ETIMEDOUT that is returned by brcmf_sdio_bus_txctl() and brcmf_sdio_bus_rxctl() if there is a timeout. This error can be traced back to brcmf_fil_iovar_int_set() since this is a returning function. The debug function brcmf_err() can be enabled to check for return values.

yasa_4608926
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you for your information.

I will check the C source and behavior.

Best regards,

Yasa

0 Likes

Also when a firmware freezes, the message "resumed on timeout" is observed in the console. This is called by brcmf_sdio_bus_rxctl(). There could be a firmware trap indicated by brcmf_sdio_checkdied(). You can obtain WLAN firmware logs for further debugging by enabling the debug flag BRCMF_FWCON_VAL or 0x00100000 during WLAN bring-up or insmod brcmfmac.ko debug=0x00100000.

yasa_4608926
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you for your update.

I'm sorry for my late reply. It is very helpful.

I will use the information related to timeout.

Best regards,

Yasa

0 Likes