Firmware update using only internal flash

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BeTu_3769071
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked First like given

Hi All,

I'm trying to create a custom platform to support a board I'm working on, using the PSoC 6 WiFi-BT pioneer kit as a reference. One major difference with this board is the lack of external flash in order to conserve space. I was hoping someone could answer the following questions I have in order to make sure the board can support firmware update.

1. My understanding from the documentation is that neither OTA or OTA2 will work with only internal flash, is that correct? The MCU has a 1MB internal flash for reference.

2. Is the flash layout controlled strictly by the bootloader? If not, how do I control the flash layout? I figure I'd have to strip things down to just bootloader, main application, update region, and resources to make this work.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Zhengbao_Zhang
250 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

1. My understanding from the documentation is that neither OTA or OTA2 will work with only internal flash, is that correct? The MCU has a 1MB internal flash for reference.

A: we have a document named Wiced_OTA.pdf in the SDK release,  it explains the external flash only mode, and  internal flash +external flash mode,    I think 1MB internal flash is not big enough for the OTA upgrade.  wifi firmware will occupy a big part of the flash .

pastedImage_0.png

2. for the internal flash layout ,   need your help to check the directory :

/WICED/platform/MCU/PSoC6/GCC/cy8c6x7/memory_with_bootloader.ld

the file has the detailed addresses for the bootloader and app arrangement

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Zhengbao_Zhang
250 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

A: we have a document named Wiced_OTA.pdf in the SDK release,  it explains the external flash only mode, and  internal flash +external flash mode,    I think 1MB internal flash is not big enough for the OTA upgrade.  wifi firmware will occupy a big part of the flash .

pastedImage_0.png

2. for the internal flash layout ,   need your help to check the directory :

/WICED/platform/MCU/PSoC6/GCC/cy8c6x7/memory_with_bootloader.ld

the file has the detailed addresses for the bootloader and app arrangement

0 Likes