How to detect and cancel a dead battery/reverse power condition after a power disruption?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JoLu_3455101
Level 4
Level 4
5 likes given 5 solutions authored 25 replies posted

Hi,

Background:

We are using CYPD3171 and our application is typically the power provider (5V charging to the connected phone). However, due to power disruption, the VBUS voltage level may drop to 3.5V (for example) which stops charging current to the phone. What happens next is that the phone tries to provide power BACK to our CYPD3171 , which I am guessing due to Rd-DB (dead battery).

Question:

Even when VBUS power (provider side) is back to normal (~5V), the phone is still providing power. So it is now stuck in this condition where the phone is not getting charged.

a) How do I detect this "dead battery" condition in the firmware code?

b) How do I reverse this condition because the preference is that the CYPD3171 is the power provider?

I've tried to check if dpm_stat->cur_port_role == PRT_ROLE_SINK so I can request a DPM_CMD_SEND_PR_SWAP, but I think CYPD3171 still thinks it is the power provider (PRT_ROLE_SOURCE) from the original time when the voltage was still good at 5V.

Interesting fact is that if power to CYPD3171 is turned off completely and then back on (instead of dropping to 3.5V), CYPD3171 resets and provides power again with no problem. So this problem only occurs if the voltage level drops too low to stop providing charging current to the phone, but not too low to reset CYPD3171.

Thanks,

Jonathan

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Rajath,

We still need CYPD3171 since we want to leave option for power going both ways. Unless you are implying that we can have bidirectional power with CYPD3175?

After some experimentation, I've determined a solution, which is apply a soft reset in the firmware after power goes back to 5V. I keep monitoring the voltage to see when the power disruption is over.

Best regards,

Jonathan

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi Jonathan,

The best suited part for this source only application would be CYPD3175-24LQXQ (footprint same as CYPD3171) which does not have dead battery termination and therefore will not succumb to such scenarios.

Thanks,

Rajath

0 Likes

Hi Rajath,

We still need CYPD3171 since we want to leave option for power going both ways. Unless you are implying that we can have bidirectional power with CYPD3175?

After some experimentation, I've determined a solution, which is apply a soft reset in the firmware after power goes back to 5V. I keep monitoring the voltage to see when the power disruption is over.

Best regards,

Jonathan

0 Likes