FX3 temperature sensitivity

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
TePl_1066611
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

I'm running an FX3 interface in Bulk mode with a Sony IMX304 cmos imager, but periodically get data error crashes. I find that this gets worse as the FX3 chip temperature drops - it's typically good at an ambient of above about 30C, but very bad as it approaches 0C . The chip is an industrial spec. version, so I'm surprised that it is so temperature sensitive. Does anyone have a suggestion about improving this result?

Thanks!

Terry

0 Likes
4 Replies
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi Terry,

Can you please provide more details on what it means when you get data error crashes (and by observing/getting what events is the data error crash occur)? Also please let us know how is the issue narrowed down to FX3?

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes

Hi Hemanth,

The errors are mostly partial image downloads, with the good data turning into garbage at 30 - 50% of the way down the frame. Sometimes, the camera just 'locks up' and has to be re-started.

It was originally noticed that the images were much more reliable when the camera was operated indoors (as against outside in cold air). I then tried applying heat to specific components, using an SMT resistor, and found that warming the FX3 greatly improved the results.

Regards,

Terry

0 Likes
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi Terry,

Is it possible to collect UART debug logs and USB traces to see what errors are seen in FX3? Where does the data come from, to FX3 - Is it from FPGA or Image sensor?

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes

Hi Hemanth,

A USB trace might be possible – I will see what we can do. The data is supplied to the FX3 by a Lattice MachXO2 FPGA, but we are pretty sure that this does produce good data over a wide temperature range.

Regards,

Terry

0 Likes