About the Multi-Function for ALT Pin Assignment

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NoAr_1540581
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
5 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 100 replies posted

Hello

I am understanding that If "multifunction preferred" is set on either the DFP_D or the UFP_D, then B/D/F pin configurations have priority over A/C/E. Otherwise, the A/C/E pin configurations have priority.Since I can not download the VESA document, I want to know the details below.

pastedImage_0.png

Q) But, please tell me what "Multi Func" in the above log means. Also, I have the following understanding. Is it correct assuming?

"Multi Func" = Preferred → it sets on either the DFP_D or the UFP_D, then B/D/F pin configurations have priority over A/C/E.

”Multi Func" = No Preference →  the A/C/E pin configurations have priority.

Best Regards

Arai

0 Likes
1 Solution
MuthuM_11
Employee
Employee
10 likes received 10 likes given 5 likes given

Hi Arai,

Yes, your understanding is correct.

Multifunction here indicate that both USB and DP data will be carried over super speed lanes.

So, when a dock/monitor indicates Multifunction preferred, then it prefers to have USB and DP on super speed lanes and thus pin assignment which uses super speed lines for USB and DP are considered (i.e., B/D/F).

Regards,

Muthu

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
MuthuM_11
Employee
Employee
10 likes received 10 likes given 5 likes given

Hi Arai,

Yes, your understanding is correct.

Multifunction here indicate that both USB and DP data will be carried over super speed lanes.

So, when a dock/monitor indicates Multifunction preferred, then it prefers to have USB and DP on super speed lanes and thus pin assignment which uses super speed lines for USB and DP are considered (i.e., B/D/F).

Regards,

Muthu

0 Likes