CYW920706WCDEVAL: Use PUART instead of USB

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
StDa_4617271
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

I would like to use PUART connected trought external FTDI adapter to my PC insteand of USB port and power the board externellay with 3.3V.

I need to do this operation to verifiy some things before to connect the board to my MCU.

I tried many combination, but without success.

Is possible to do this?

Can you help me?

Thanks.

Best regards.

0 Likes
1 Solution

On the CYW920706WCDEVAL board, I disable the connection of puart to the onboard FTDI chip by switching OFF switches 2 and 4 of SW5.

Then I interface an external FTDI chip to the EVAL board as shown in the picture, although this external FTDI chip still uses USB (to PC) to UART. The red wire is Tx (of ext FTDI) to Rx, and the green wire is Rx (of ext FTDI) to Tx.

I download the puart app in the apps/hal and was able to reproduce the effect of the app by communicating with the EVAL board via the external FTDI serial port.

IMG_3353.jpg

View solution in original post

4 Replies
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hello StDa_4617271​,

I didn't get the connections you are trying to do. There are SW5 on CYW930706WCDEVAL board which you can turn on-off.

Can you please explain your query more clearly?

0 Likes

Hi Sheetalj_96,

excuse me if I haven't been clear, but I've some problem to write in english

Which I would to do is to connect my evaluation module directly to MCU bypassing USB.

This, to try some feature before to desiging my new board whit BT included.

But, before to connect the board to MCU I would like to connect the board to my PC trough FTDI converter (like to this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/FTDI-Basic-3-3V-5V-USB-to-TTL-MWC-Programmer-Adapter-Module-for-Arduino/222...).

What happens now is:

- I connect CYW920706WCDEVAL to usb and I have a virtual com port.

- I launch minicom (teminal program for linux) or HyperTerminal ( windows) and I can receive and send data from PC to board.

Now:

I would need same behavior  but bypassing internal USB and using my FTDI converter.

If this solution works fine I can proceed to connect board directly to my MCU using UART HCI pins.

I hope to have explained better from last message.

Thanks.

0 Likes

On the CYW920706WCDEVAL board, I disable the connection of puart to the onboard FTDI chip by switching OFF switches 2 and 4 of SW5.

Then I interface an external FTDI chip to the EVAL board as shown in the picture, although this external FTDI chip still uses USB (to PC) to UART. The red wire is Tx (of ext FTDI) to Rx, and the green wire is Rx (of ext FTDI) to Tx.

I download the puart app in the apps/hal and was able to reproduce the effect of the app by communicating with the EVAL board via the external FTDI serial port.

IMG_3353.jpg

Hi,

I was using the wrong pins

Many thanks for your help.

Regards.

0 Likes