MiniProg3 connectivity with PSoC 4 (CY8C4014FNI-421AT)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
NaJa_4363881
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 5 replies posted

Hello!

I thought of reaching out to you regarding the connectivity issues between PSoC 4 (CY8C4014FNI-421AT) device on my Prototype Board and MiniProg3 (CY8CKIT-002) using SWD.

I had previously reached out here regarding this question and I was advised that I can short all the PSoC power pins (VDD, VCCD) with VTARG of MiniProg3 and then use Power Cycle mode on the PSoC programmer with supply selected to 3.3 V as this specific PSoC 4 device doesn't have an external reset. But now, when I try programming the hex file via SWD using the programmer, it continuously fails with the message that the PSoC 4 device failed to connect with the Programmer.

But when I tried programming the CY8CKIT-040 using MiniProg3 via JTAG, power set to 3.3 V and mode: Reset, it works without any issues.

Can anyone review and advise me regarding this concern?

I have attached a screenshot of the circuit I am using on my Prototype Board to try programming the device.

Thanks and Regards,

Nandhini Jayapandian

0 Likes
1 Solution
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello Naja.

An unfortunate mistake connecting Vccd to Vdd when using 3.3V.  This will damage the internal regulator and the device will not likely function.

However, all is not lost at the moment.  The pcb is wired for a 'regulated' power supply of 1.71-1.89 volts, 1.8V nominal.  So, you can still program 4014 thru SWD using Miniprog3 set to 1.8V while using Power Cycle mode.  This would at least prove that 4014 can be programmed.

DO NOT attempt to program/run this pcb above 1.8V or you'll damage the PSoC (on this pcb).

Also, to run FLASH code in 'regulated' supply mode at 1.8V, FLASH code needs to disable the internal regulator by setting the EXT_VCCD bit in register POWER_CONTROL (as part of init routine).  You'll find this info in both the datasheet and the register description documents.

Down the road, to use 3.3V, you'll need to disconnect Vccd from Vdd and connect a separate 0.1uF to Vccd, just like the datasheet shows.  No other connections to Vccd other than the capacitor.

Good luck with your project.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

I wonder why you are connecting P3_0 and P2_0?

Can you test without connecting these and use only P3_0 as SWDIO?

moto

0 Likes

Hello Moto!

As this PSoC 4 chip is a WLCSP of very small ball spacing, connecting SWDIO to P2.0 (No Connect) was done as a workaround to minimize PCB manufacturing difficulties, to have access to the signal line that is present in the middle of the chip.

Kindly review and advise me on the reason for the issue with establishing a connection to the MiniProg3.

Thanks and Regards,

Nandhini Jayapandian

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9

Dear Nandhini-san,

Although I'm not a hardware engineer, the connection of SWD_IO and P2_0 somewhat bothers me.

Besides above, how about downloading the following Application Note and take a look at the chapters about debug connection and GPIOs?

AN88619 - PSoC 4 Hardware Design Considerations

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an88619-psoc-4-hardware-design-consideration...

And the last chapter (appendix) is a checklist for PWB.

Best Regards,

1-Jan-2020

Motoo Tanaka

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

One more thing I noticed was on page 6 of the AN88619.

there is a Figure 4. An Example of Using Unregulated External Power Supply.

It seems that you should not pull up VCCD when using unregulated external power supply.

But in your schematic VCCD (D4) seems to be connected to VTARG.

Figure4.jpg

PSoC4_CY8C4014FNI_421AT_Schematics.PNG

moto

0 Likes

Hello Moto!

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. But since I had no external reset for PSoC 4 device that I am using, when I checked here in the community, I was advised that I will have to short all the power pins together so that I will be able to program the chip at 3.3V with MiniProg3 using Power cycle mode in PSoC programmer.

Also as I am using a regulated power supply for my project, I think I wont be able to disconnect VCCD from the suppy line.

Best Regards,

Nandhini Jayapandian

0 Likes
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello Naja.

An unfortunate mistake connecting Vccd to Vdd when using 3.3V.  This will damage the internal regulator and the device will not likely function.

However, all is not lost at the moment.  The pcb is wired for a 'regulated' power supply of 1.71-1.89 volts, 1.8V nominal.  So, you can still program 4014 thru SWD using Miniprog3 set to 1.8V while using Power Cycle mode.  This would at least prove that 4014 can be programmed.

DO NOT attempt to program/run this pcb above 1.8V or you'll damage the PSoC (on this pcb).

Also, to run FLASH code in 'regulated' supply mode at 1.8V, FLASH code needs to disable the internal regulator by setting the EXT_VCCD bit in register POWER_CONTROL (as part of init routine).  You'll find this info in both the datasheet and the register description documents.

Down the road, to use 3.3V, you'll need to disconnect Vccd from Vdd and connect a separate 0.1uF to Vccd, just like the datasheet shows.  No other connections to Vccd other than the capacitor.

Good luck with your project.

Hello!

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I never tried programming the chip at 1.8V but will do this time to see if this works. For programming the device I am using the 3.3V supply for the pins VDD and VDDIO from VTARG of MiniProg3.

But as an alternative, will it be possible for me to have the line VCCD connected to a separate 1.8 V and still program the PSoC4 at 3.3 V using MiniProg3 in Power Cycle mode as this chip doesn't have an external reset?

Best Regards,

Nandhini Jayapandian

0 Likes

Hello.

If Vccd pin can be isolated from all other power pins, and a separate 0.1uF capacitor can be connected to Vccd, then yes, PSoC can be programmed at 3.3V by Miniprog3 using Power Cycle method.  DO NOT connect Vccd to a 1.8V power supply in this configuration.  Essentially, you've restored the circuit to "unregulated" powering method.

0 Likes

Hello!

Thank you very much for advising me regarding this concern. I was able to program the device successfully at 1.8V.

While verifying the datasheets again, I could see that VDD and VDDIO can be used at 1.8V. So I think I will be able to use the device at 1.8V to read and write to its slave device.

But if that doesn't work, I will have to find a way to isolate VCCD from VDD and VDDIO which is going to be difficult as the pins were shorted while manufacturing the Prototype board.

Best Regards,

Nandhini Jayapandian

Hello.

That's very good news.  This shows you have some form of working intelligence on the pcb.

Yes, trying to isolate Vccd will be tricky given the PSoC footprint.  Even with an un-populated pcb, cutting that track will take some skill.

Best of luck.

0 Likes