CYBT-213043-MESH EZ-BT Issues

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NiCr_4063401
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Hi guys,

I have been trying to get demos working with the EZ BT kits for awhile, and I have a few questions/issues still. I am using Modus Toolbox 2.0.

1.) I seem to have a lot of issues getting anything to work with Android. I've tried both Google Pixel 3 and a Huawei Mate. It takes a long time to discover devices, and when I click on a device to provision it, there's not really any feedback. It may or may not provision successfully and show up in the list in 10-20 seconds. There was one kit that I attempted to provision, it never showed up as a provisioned device, and then after that I could never again discover it. It seemed as if it got stuck somewhere during the provisioning process and it stopped advertising. This is all using the Mesh Controller .apk provided in the newest bt sdk.

2.) Also with Android, some kits just show up with "null" for a name, so it's hard to tell what demo is running on the kit.

3.) The iOS app from the app store looks completely different from the Android .apk provided in the bt SDK. Maybe it's still an older version? It worked OK, but it seemed like on an iPhone 8 running the latest iOS, the labels in the app were all either white (same as background) or missing. All of the names of provisioned devices were not able to be seen, same with login field labels on the login screen. I can take some screenshots if you'd like, since it's kind of hard to describe. Is the source provided in the bt sdk the same app that's in the App Store, or is the App Store version old?

4.) I could not get the motion detector demo to work. The temperature sensor demo worked fine, but the motion detector demo never detected motion when I waved my hand in front of the sensor or anything.

Thanks,
Nick

0 Likes
4 Replies
DheerajPK_41
750 replies posted 500 likes received 500 replies posted

Hi Nick,

1) If you are using MTB2.0 then you do not have to install BTSDK manually as we did in MTB1.1.

Here in MTB2.0 you have to import wiced_btsdk into your project explorer and then your required example project ass well.

Please see the "mt_ide_user_guide.pdf" from the C:\Users\username\ModusToolbox\ide_2.0\doc.

Also please let me know which application you are trying to use ?

Till now, we have not detected major issues as you said. So I would like to try your experiment at my side once and let you know my conclusion. Could you please tell exact steps of your experiment?

2) Which kit are you using?

And which application are you using?

3) Ideally app store should have the latest public release application. I will try to check and confirm.

Could you please provide us the screenshot?  And which tablet are you using?

The Android/IOS/Windows applications are few helper demo provisioner applications which can be used to demonstrate the basic features supported by the mesh device/apps.Since source code is available along with the SDK, customers can easily edit and add enhancements as per their requirement.

4) I will check this on MTB2.0. And let you know the result soon.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

Hi,

Yes, I am familiar with the install process in MT2.0. I am using the .apk in C:\Users\nrcra\mtw_2_0\wiced_btsdk\tools\btsdk-peer-apps-mesh\Android\src\bin.

I'm using the CYBT-213043-MESH evaluation kits. I have one programmed with the dimmer demo and 3 programmed with the dimmable light demo (although I tried various demos after having more success with iOS).

In the Android app, I am simply clicking on "Add Device" in my network screen and then tapping each device to provision it. On my Pixel 3, the devices take a long time to show up and often come up with "null" for their name, so I cannot tell which is which. Sometimes they just don't show up at all on the Pixel 3. On my Huawei Mate, they show up correctly but provisioning doesn't always seem to work as I mentioned. We have had various BLE issues with Android phones and other Cypress boards containing a similar BLE chipset.

I do not have access to the iOS device currently, but will get a screenshot for you after the holiday break. It's an iPhone 8 running the latest iOS. It looked like the app from v1.X of the bluetooth SDK from what I recall. Very different from the Android .apk bundled with the latest SDK.

I can take videos and such after the break.

-Nick

Hi NiCr_4063401​,

Could you please collect ADB (android debug) logs as well while you do your experiment, which we can use to understand the issue?

Also, when you get 'null' while scanning for unprovisioned beacons, please do reset the board and try again. Let me know on the next try you are able to scan properly or not.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

Hi Nick Crast,

Also please try to do your experiment in a less noisy environment ( less other BT,BLE, WIFI devices).

And let me know if any improvement is there.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj