Beware of automatic updating your project PDL components to the latest.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

To all,

I'm blogging this discussion and would appreciate any feedback and potential solutions.

I'm referring to the discussion started by Konrad in the link below:

PSoC 6 Pioneering Kit doesn't work after programming

In summary, Konrad had a CY8CKIT-062-BLE that appeared to no longer work.  The answer turned out to be that he had updated the PDL library to 3.10 on his PDL components used.  This made his project no longer operational.  To be clear, the project programmed successfully into the kit but the project no longer performed the required function.  To get his kit to work, he needed to revert the PDL library version to be used to an earlier version.  Trust me, that is not as easy as it sounds.  Hopefully someone (poke at Cypress tech support) can reveal a simpler method.  I will elaborate my method below.

I had an identical CY8CKIT-062-BLE and had multiple example projects for that kit built and successfully running.

At one point later, I downloaded and installed the PDL library 3.10.  The install defines this library version as the latest 'default' library for PDL.  Here is a pic of "Tools\Options..." menu.

pastedImage_4.png

Additionally updating the PDL components to the later (3.10) versions forces the PDL library to load this new code during the "Generate Application" phase of the build.

Note:  Reverting to an early version is not easy or obvious.   Note to Cypress:  It would be nice if I can first invoke the "Component Update Tool" at will.  Then select a earlier version in the "New Version" field.  This might be a simpler means of reverting the component version.  Right now, it appears you can only invoke the "Component Update Tool" when there are updated versions of at least one component available.

pastedImage_9.png

CAUTION!!!

There appears to be some updated PDL components that make the project non-operational.

I learned that the hard way.  I automatically updated my PDL library and components to the latest (3.10) then all of a sudden my projects became nonfunctional whereas before I was operational.  I thought my CY8CKIT-062-BLE was toast.

The "Fix"

To fix my issue, I had to take two steps:

1. Load the original example project with the earlier version of the PDL component called out in the TopDesign.  The downside of this method is any changes to the TopDesign or SW could be potentially lost.   [Can Cypress suggest a better way to revert the component to an earlier version?)
  2. Go to menu "Tools\Options..." and selected an earlier version of the PDL library as shown in this pic.

pastedImage_12.png

Rebuild the project.  This fixed my non-operational issue.

Please add to this discussion if you have experience in this issue.  I'm assuming this is an issue that not just Konrad and I have run into.

I will add new details about this issue as I discover them.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes
9 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

To all,

Update

Using the example project "CE220567_BLE_Thermometer" I tried the following combinations of builds:

Component

PDL version

(TopDesign)

PDL Library
(Build)

Operational

State

(Success/Fail)
Scan_ADC

3.04Success
Scan_ADC3.03.04Success
Scan_ADC3.103.10

Fail

Scan_ADC3.03.10Fail
Scan_ADC3.03.04Success

Something about the PDL library 3.10 appears to be causing this issue.  Even when using the eariler version of the component, the library appears to be the common point of the root cause.  Cypress needs to weight in on this subject.   Is there something I'm missing or not understanding in the release notes for PDL 3.10?

Len

Len
0 Likes

It looks there is no issue on my side when either v3.0 or v3.10 ADC used together with PDL3.1.0 in CE220567.

How could you recognize the issue of incompatibility? Could you show me your DVK board version, which is marked at the bottom left corner of board reverse side? The old versoins can not work with PDL3.1.0.

0 Likes

vWangS,

Thanks for checking in on this discussion.

Here's the board version:

pastedImage_0.png

Purchased it on Newark.

Len

Len
0 Likes

LePo_1062026

Sure enough the Rev11 board can not work with PDL3.1.0, as shown in the notice of DVK website(https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/psoc-6-ble-pioneer-kit-cy8ckit-062-ble ) -

pastedImage_1.png

You may need to request a replacement of board from your purchase channel.

0 Likes

WangS,

This is good to know.

I can ask Newark for a swap-out for a later Version.  Do they have a reciprocal swap-out policy with Cypress?

The PDL version limitation:  Is this a limitation of the KIT or the Rev of PSoC6?

Len

Len
0 Likes

It's a limitation of the Rev of PSoC 6. For the device, Rev*B or the newer can support PDL3.1.0 without problem.

0 Likes

ShipingW,

Interesting!  The back of the PCB says "Rev11" and the back of the box says "Rev*B".  However,  when I use PDL 3.1.0 it doesn't work.  When I switch back to 3.0.4 it works.

Len

Len
0 Likes
AchimE_41
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First comment on KBA

FYI: you can always update the components in the project at any given time using "Project -> Update Components"

This will open the component update tool..

pastedImage_0.png

AchimE,

Thanks.  I've done that already.  Still not correcting the problem.

Len

Len
0 Likes