Using libusb to interface with Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader Device

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DiDi_4439146
Level 3
Level 3
First solution authored 10 sign-ins 10 replies posted

Hi,

I am writing a custom firmware flasher for a device I built. I am trying to use libusb-1.0 which requires a compatible driver to be installed for the device. I used Zidag in order to update the driver from the CYUSB3 (v1.2.3.22) to WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385) which allowed me to use libusb against this device - and everything works

The problem I have is I don't want end users to have to download Zidag and follow instructions to get the driver changed, is there a more appropriate or seamless way to allow libusb to be used with the cypress usb bootloader? Or a more automatic way to change the driver?

Thank you,

Dimitar

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi Dimitar,

You can use Microsoft OS Descriptors to automatically load winusb driver.

Please refer to section ' Automatic installation of WinUSB without an INF file' in the below link:

WinUSB (Winusb.sys) Installation (Windows Drivers)

You can also refer to Microsoft OS Descriptors for USB Devices - Windows drivers | Microsoft Docs

Note: The above method can be used only if FX3 has boot mode other than USB Boot OR if USB Boot is

used, then second stage bootloader should be used to implement the above (because FX3 ROM bootloader

cannot be made to bind to WinUSB by using above method)

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi Dimitar,

You can use Microsoft OS Descriptors to automatically load winusb driver.

Please refer to section ' Automatic installation of WinUSB without an INF file' in the below link:

WinUSB (Winusb.sys) Installation (Windows Drivers)

You can also refer to Microsoft OS Descriptors for USB Devices - Windows drivers | Microsoft Docs

Note: The above method can be used only if FX3 has boot mode other than USB Boot OR if USB Boot is

used, then second stage bootloader should be used to implement the above (because FX3 ROM bootloader

cannot be made to bind to WinUSB by using above method)

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes