warp7 board FMAC support

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AaronClarke
Level 1
Level 1
5 likes given 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

I have a client using the warp7 board with murata 1DX module with Cypress/CYW4343W.

https://www.element14.com/community/community/designcenter/single-board-computers/warp7

Is this supported with the latest FMAC driver?  I built a kernel with the latest FMAC [2019-10-31] following the README for Linux Stable v4.14.77 but when I run it I get an error in the log that it failed to load the firmware .bin file and I don't see the wireless come up.

If I build with the freescale community bsp (Yocto thud) which supports the board (imx7s-warp), I get a linux 4.20.0-rc6 kernel with a brcmfmac driver, is that just an older FMAC driver?

This is similar to this discussion post by GrahamS_21 which is locked but was not answered publicly.

imx7s-warp fmac support

"I have a customer trying to use the iMX7s-warp board, which has a type-1dx module (CYW4343W)

Our latest FMAC driver and firmware supports kernel 4.1.15 which has no MACHINE imx7s-warp

They imported the Yocto meta-layer for the imx7s-warp from another BSP but this overrides the preferred kernel and pulls in 4.1.32 in which then it becomes a kernel source/header file headache for FMAC.

The current Yocto BSPs all support the imx7s-warp ( 4.1.32 up ) and have the bcmdhd and brcmfmac drivers within, the brcmfmac doesn't actually work but as it's close to FMAC as far as I know - it may be a good starting point for a possible port?

Can we provide some guidance on how to enable this feature? for reference this works ok on the iMX7d board, just not the WARP one."

We want to use the latest driver to help diagnose or prevent some connection issues that were observed with an older kernel and driver.

Regards,

Aaron

0 Likes
1 Solution

The Linux User Manual 5.4 is the latest version available currently. We are likely to get a new version soon, but until that drops, you can use this - I don't expect the basic steps to change.

As for nvram, you can try the ones hosted in Murata github and see if they work: GitHub - murata-wireless/cyw-fmac-nvram .

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Zhengbao_Zhang
250 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

Here is my suggestion:

1. find the Murata manual named Murata Wi-Fi & BT Solution for i.MX Linux User Manual 5.2 , they have detailed description for the porting.

2. download our fmac driver , to see the README file for how to do backport porting support.

extracted from the manual:

“cyw-fmac” contains the backport tool source used to backport the “fmac” driver and the actual WLAN “fmac” driver code: see sub-folder “/drivers/net/wireless/broadcom/brcm80211/brcmfmac”. The backport tool source is customized by Cypress to correct various issues/errata. Unlike the “brcmfmac” integrated into the Linux kernel GIT (https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git), this release is configured/tested/released by the Cypress team. The integrated backport tool (refer to https://backports.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page) allows the “fmac” driver to be “dropped into” any Linux kernel version from 3.0 to 4.12(“orga”)/4.14(“battra”). The “battra” release is a bigger/better version of “orga” as it provides support for more recent kernel versions (version 4.14 compared to 4.12) and includes fixes/enhancements not in “orga”. The “meta-murata-wireless” layer uses this repository to dynamically backport the “fmac” driver to the various supported i.MX kernel versions. NOTE: the i.MX kernel does include “drivers/net/wireless/broadcom/brcm80211/brcmfmac” – please ignore this driver source code. It is very important that this internal “brcmfmac” driver is disabled to avoid any conflicts with the Cypress “fmac” implementation.

Is the link correct from RoCh_2868046​​ for Murata Wi-Fi/BT Solution for i.MX Linux User Manual 5.4?  It's dated  6/19/19 but has a watermark "Legacy Document"

I assume I should use the brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin found in the fmac driver archive, but I'm not sure where to get the NVRAM file (brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt). Can I this NVRAM file from kernel.org?

brcmfmac43430-sdio.MUR1DX.txt\brcm - kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git - Repository of firmware...

0 Likes

The Linux User Manual 5.4 is the latest version available currently. We are likely to get a new version soon, but until that drops, you can use this - I don't expect the basic steps to change.

As for nvram, you can try the ones hosted in Murata github and see if they work: GitHub - murata-wireless/cyw-fmac-nvram .

0 Likes
RoCh_2868046
Level 4
Level 4
10 likes received First like received Welcome!

Here is the link to Murata's Quick Start Guide: https://wireless.murata.com/datasheet?/RFM/data/murata_quick_start_guide_linux.pdf , and the Linux User Manual: https://wireless.murata.com/datasheet?/RFM/data/murata_linux_user_manual_5.4.pdf . Try to follow the build procedures mentioned there and see if it work. I think wrap7 is not officially supported, but it  may work nevertheless.