The status of the PMODE [2: 0] setting when the mode is not described in the data sheet.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NoAr_1540581
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
5 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 100 replies posted

Hello

Q1)

Please let me know what happens if they switch to the following mode due to human error.

①PMODE [2: 0] = 111

②PMODE [2: 0] = FFF

Q2)

Looking at the TRM pull up and pull down registers, the initial value is 0: 1: 0 for both UP and DOWN.What state is it in?

It would be helpful if you could give an example of the answer as shown below.

(Example)The terminal after reset is in the state of ○○, so  above ①  is in △△ mode, ② may be in □□ mode, but do not set

By the way, in ①, it becomes 10/10 times in USB Boot mode. ② Then, I2C mode has been turned 10 times.

Best Regards

Arai

0 Likes
1 Solution
HirotakaT_91
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

As a premises for FX3, other combinations which is not listed in the datasheet are reserved. Do not set reserved settings because it does not work for FX3.

In case the PMODE is set "PMODE [2:0] = 111", FX3 comes up as "Cypress Benicia USB Boot Device" (VID: 04B4 and PID: 00BC). This doesn't work with 32-bit GPIF.

Detail:  Why the FX3/CX3/FX3S comes up as "Cypress Benicia USB Boot Device" instead of "Cypress FX3 Bootloade...

In case the PMODE is set "PMODE [2:0] = FFF", FX3 might try to enumerate as SD3 (VID: 04B4 and PID: 0053) I2C boot mode.

Regards,

Hirotaka

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
HirotakaT_91
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

As a premises for FX3, other combinations which is not listed in the datasheet are reserved. Do not set reserved settings because it does not work for FX3.

In case the PMODE is set "PMODE [2:0] = 111", FX3 comes up as "Cypress Benicia USB Boot Device" (VID: 04B4 and PID: 00BC). This doesn't work with 32-bit GPIF.

Detail:  Why the FX3/CX3/FX3S comes up as "Cypress Benicia USB Boot Device" instead of "Cypress FX3 Bootloade...

In case the PMODE is set "PMODE [2:0] = FFF", FX3 might try to enumerate as SD3 (VID: 04B4 and PID: 0053) I2C boot mode.

Regards,

Hirotaka

0 Likes
NoAr_1540581
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
5 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 100 replies posted

>In case the PMODE is set "PMODE [2:0] = FFF", FX3 might try to enumerate as SD3 (VID: 04B4 and PID: 0053) I2C >boot mode.

>

Regarding the above, when both switches are open in the schematic below,

pastedImage_0.png

I understand that "PMODE [2: 0] = FFF", but the actual operation is in I2C mode.
Q)
If both SW are OPEN mentioned above, can I assume that it will be PMODE[2:0]=FFF? Or should it be considered indefinite?

Best Regards

Arai

0 Likes

Boot Loader will boot from I2C EEPROM if you set I2C mode by PMODE setting.

As I mentioned you earlier, PMODE "FFF" is an SD3 settings as "I2C On Failure, USB Boot is enabled". If I2C boot has done without issues, program which stored in I2C EEPROM is used. If it fails, USB Boot is enabled and "Cypress SD3 USB Boot Device" is shown on the device manager with PID 0x0053.

AGAIN, DO NOT SET PMODE NOT MENTIONED ON THE DATASHEET.

Regards,

Hirotaka Takayama

0 Likes