Modus Freeze

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AuKa_264411
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

I have installed Modus 2.0 on a Windows 10 machine. Starts up just fine.

I select New Application and then select the kit CY8CPROTO-062-4343W and then an application- I have tried "Hello World", TCPWM Square Wave" and "Ramping LED using Smart IO". Things seem to work as expected until about half way through- (see screen capture below) when it starts processing library files. The processing slows right down- makes working with a 1200 baud modem seem like a pleasure (yes, I am that old!).

I had some patience the other day and left it- it took 2 hours to complete this task. I clicked on "Build" and the file processing froze again.

Modus is installed in the default locations. I have also tried this without my anti-virus. Our network administrator says there is no data throttling or blocking.

In this state Modus hogs the PC resources limiting internet access and even the 3 fingered salute (Ctl-Alt-Del) can take almost a minute to respond, if it responds at all.

Has anybody else seen this behaviour, and more importantly, has anybody any idea what I am doing wrong?..

pastedImage_3.png

I

0 Likes
32 Replies
user_1669321
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Might this be the firewall?

Modus tries to clone git repositories (the Cypress libraries) before building a project. Maybe try this article?

Using ModusToolbox Software Behind a Firewall – KBA228784

0 Likes

That article doesn't help. My network administrator answered- 

"we are not using a proxy at xxx.  We are using a firewall though, and that is why I tried disabling the content filter and other security options, to see if they were responsible for this issue; but it didn’t seem to make a difference."

Anybody got another idea?

0 Likes

This looks a internet access issue. Can you please try to download the code example from github on your platform and see if there is any problem - Cypress Semiconductor Corporation · GitHub ?

In addition, is this issue a certain case? All code examples have this issue without excaption?

0 Likes

Please try cloning a repository from Github to see if it works. Here's how you can check. If you do not already have git installed, you can download Git from here: https://git-scm.com/downloads

Once installed, open command prompt and type the following:

git clone https://github.com/cypresssemiconductorco/mtb-example-psoc6-hello-world.git

git_clone.png

Check if you see this on the console. If there is any error, please post it here so that we can help you further. The repository being cloned here is one of the code examples in the Cypress Github page. You cna find it here.

Also, go to Windows Firewall settings and click on "Allow an app or feature....." as shown below:

git_clone.png

Click on "Change Settings" as shown:

git_clone.png

Check the restrictions if any for ModusToolbox and enable access in all domain, private and public networks as shown:

git_clone.png

Let me know if this helps and resolves your issue

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Dheeraj

Thanks for the reply. I cloned a repository as you describe and it worked.

I went through the Windows firewall exercise and there is NO entry for Modus Toolbox as you see below. Maybe this is a clue. To get to this I had to disable my anti-virus software (AVG)- when it was enabled Windows reported that the Windows Firewall “Allow App” was controlled by AVG.

In any event, after I cloned the repository, Modus Toolbox would load the library as expected, BUT when I clicked on “Build” it would start the process and then freeze at 20% as you can see below. Every time it freezes, I have to reboot my PC in order to get it to operate normally.

So we are a little further along- what’s the next suggestion?

0 Likes

Dheeraj

I uninstalled Modus Toolbox and then disabled the anti-virus and re-installed Modus (after a machine re-boot). Modus still does not show up in the Firewall list, and the process freezes in exactly the same way after I invoke the build function.

0 Likes

You can add applications directly by clicking on "Allow another app.." as shown below:

git_clone.png

Click on "Browse" and point to the "ModusToolbox.exe" executable available at the path: "C:\Users\<username>\ModusToolbox\ide_2.0\eclipse". Once added, check the boxes for all networks and ModusToolbox should now work as expected.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes
lock attach

No joy.

It gets a bit further, and then freezes exactly as before…

0 Likes

The ModusToolbox build infrastructure uses the GNU make to build your application. So, let's see if you are able to build the application irrespective of the IDE. Please go to "C:\Users\<username>\ModusToolbox\tools_2.0\modus-shell" and run "Cygwin.bat".

Once opened, follow these steps to build your application using command-line interface. 

(1) Point to the application directory where you cloned it by using the command

$ cd "<path to application>/mtb-example-psoc6-hello-world"

(2) Then to import the libraries, type the command

make getlibs

You should see import complete as shown below:

pastedImage_2.png

(3) Now to build the application, type

make build

The application will compile and should show "Build Complete".

pastedImage_4.png

The above steps are exactly what happens when you click "Build Application" in Modus.

Please try these steps and let me know your observations.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes
lock attach

Dheeraj

Nope. It freezes. See the figure

(P.S. to run cygwin, I had to type “.\cygwin”

0 Likes

Hi AuKa_264411,

Please go to modus-shell again and provide results for following cmd:
1. '$PATH'
2. 'where git'
3. 'cd {to example project}

4. 'make getlibs VERBOSE=true'

Regards,

Nazar

0 Likes
lock attach

Nazar

Given the result, I am not sure I am doing what you asked (see below). For what it is worth I spent a fair amount of time with Cypress Tech Support monitoring the actions of my machine and we still have not come to a conclsion.

I can tell you thatr it specific to my PC. When I try running it on a laptop (also Windows 10 with the same anti-virus, Modus Toolbox works just fine.

0 Likes

Hi AuKa_264411,
per "go to modus-shell" , I mean Please go to "C:\Users\<username>\ModusToolbox\tools_2.0\modus-shell" and run "Cygwin.bat".

Thanks,

Nazar

0 Likes
lock attach

This is what I get.

0 Likes

Before executing "make getlibs VERBOSE=true" make sure you navigate to the application directory. For example:

$ cd "<path to application>/mtb-example-psoc6-hello-world"

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Also, try again $PATH (not $path).

0 Likes
lock attach

As below, the search of the libraries freezes. I have to reboot now…

0 Likes

Please hold- it does continue after about 15 minutes- I am waiting to see when it stops…

0 Likes
lock attach

Hi

Please replace original getlibs.bash in ...ModusToolbox\tools_2.0\make\ with attached one. It has some printf, so we should see the place where we freeze..

NOTE: please do copy of original getlibs.bash, before replacement..:)

Thanks,
Nazar

0 Likes
lock attach

I’m sorry, I should have made it clearer. It does not actually freeze. It has been going for over 90 minutes now with updates every few minutes. The screen capture below is its current state. I will let it run overnight (it is hometime now), although I doubt you will glean anything from it.

I hope you noted in my previous post the error message response to the $PATH command.

0 Likes
lock attach

As luck would have it- it just completed.

0 Likes

That means the process is working in the background, its just that it is slow maybe because of the internet speed. The flag "VERBOSE=true" prints each and every step that happens in the background process.

Can you please try NazarP_56​ suggestion to replace the getlibs.bash file and let us know what you see?

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes
lock attach

I updated getlibs.bash to print timestamp, it should be more useful. Please use attached one.

You can store output in file (e.g getlibs.log) and share the full log:

make getlibs VERBOSE=true > getlibs.log

Thanks,
Nazar

0 Likes
lock attach

Once again I feel I am missing a step. It all worked very quickly- too quickly (about 10 seconds)

Attached is the screen. I am also attaching the log file

0 Likes
lock attach

I think you used the old getlibs.bash file which doesn't have the timestamp information. Please copy the attached file and paste it in the path: "C:\Users\<user>\ModusToolbox\tools_2.0\make". Then run the following command:

make getlibs VERBOSE=true > getlibs.log

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

It is now much slower. I'll let you know when it is done.

0 Likes
lock attach

OK. SO 90 minutes later I get this. I am attaching the log file as well

0 Likes

For what it is worth, even after it has completed, the performance of the PC is compromised (seriously slow reactions, like the response time to the Ctl-Alt-Del that we saw yesterday) and will need a re-boot.

0 Likes

Hi AuKa_264411,

Log showed that all git clone operation complete fast (~ minute) but then the rest simple script steps (for scanning included libs) work very slow. Looks like environment is messed up...

Next for debug:
please, again go to modus shell, navigate to example directory and try:
1. make get_env_info   
2. make get_app_info
3. make check

please share screens for steps 1..3

-------------------------
4. make build

wait 3..5 minutes, then Ctrl-Alt-Del and look what process take a look at CPU usage. What process loaded the CPU most of all (is it only modus shell or maybe something else), also check RAM status in Performance tab.

Thanks,
Nazar

0 Likes
lock attach

Nazar

Steps 1-3, see PSoCFreeze7

I stopped all processes so that the only apps were the snipping tool, task manager and Windows Power Shell. There are a few background tasks running like the anti-virus.

PSoCFreeze8 to PSoCFreeze10 are screen captures of the task manager.

Whilst the system was “frozen”, I never saw CPU usage go above 4% in the 20 minutes I have been watching it. The maximum I saw on Windows PowerShell was 16.3% (I must have missed overall usage) when it was writing to the screen.

I am not sure why some of the sub components in Windows PowerShell appear twice For instance I have seen 2 “make”s and 3 “bash”es as you can see in PSoCFeeze10.

-Aubrey

0 Likes

Hi Aubrey,

all logs from previous post looks good.

I see that you are using AVG antivirus. What version do you use?
Is it possible to disable(uninstall) it and try build application again, to check if AVG is root cause of problem. I found information with similar behavior.  

Regards,
Nazar

0 Likes

Both before and in my session with Dheeraj, we tried without the AVG and with and without Windows Defender (i.e. no anti-virus at all).

It made no difference at all.

In addition I have a laptop with similar setup as my desktop, and Modus runs just fine with AVG.

0 Likes