miniProg3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JaMa_1051561
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Hello,

I have miniProg3 debugger. when i connect it to PSoC4 device it shows all LED indications as per user guide mentioned.

It means it connects to Laptop provides power on Vtarg pin. I am unable to program the device as it doesn't find device.

while solving this problem i got to know that GND and SClock pins are shorted.

How do i resolve this problem?

which component is fried?

please help me.

Ragards,

Jagdish

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi jagac_4296776,

The part number for TVS2 diode is PESD5V0L4UG,115. This can be procured from Digikey/Mouser or any such portals.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi jagac_4296776​,

Can you please let me know if MiniProg3 is enumerated in PSoC Programmer when it is connected to the laptop separately?

I am unable to program the device as it doesn't find device.

Please share a screenshot of the error that you are getting when you try to program the device.

while solving this problem i got to know that GND and SClock pins are shorted.

Can you please specify when you checked this? Was the device connected to MiniProg3 or did you check the MiniProg3 pins separately?

Also, please let me know if you are using a custom board and the exact PSoC 4 device that you are using.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hi Rakshith,

I appreciate you for your immediate reply.

Can you please let me know if MiniProg3 is enumerated in PSoC Programmer when it is connected to the laptop separately?

Yes.

Can you please specify when you checked this? Was the device connected to MiniProg3 or did you check the MiniProg3 pins separately?

Yes i checked MiniProg3 pins separately when device is not connected and i found that GND(Pin2) and SCLK(Pin4) are shorted.

Yes we use our own custom designed boards.

When i try to program it shows busy and then fail.

I have selected device initially before connecting to the device in attached image you can see.

Also i observed heating for U5 (IC) component which is on MiniProg3.

I am sure the problem is in MiniProg3 as i mentioned shorting between Gnd and SClk pin.

Please guide me to resolve this issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Jagdish

miniProg3.jpg

0 Likes

Hi jagac_4296776,

>I have selected device initially before connecting to the device in attached image you can see.

You have enabled AutoDetection which means that the PSoC Programmer will auto-detect the device that is being programmed. So this should not be an issue.

I am afraid that your MiniProg might be malfunctioning. I checked with a MiniProg3 that I had and GND and SCLK pins were not shorted.

Can you please go to the Utilities tab and click on Upgrade Firmware and see if this fixes your issue?

I see that the MiniProg3 is getting connected and powering your device. I do not see any programming log. Can you please click on Program and send the error that you are getting during programming?

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes
JaMa_1051561
Level 2
Level 2

Hello RakshithM_16,

I had already tried upgrade firmware option it did not fix my issue.

This time i did not select device as AutoDetection is enabled.

you can see in the image that device family and device ware not selected automatically.

when i click on program it shows busy continuously, power LED turns on and off as Power Cycle is enabled automatically.

Then i have to click on Abort option to terminate this process.

It shows Failed PSoC device is not aquired. I am sure connection is perfect to the device because i can program same device using my other debugger (PSoC4 BLE Launchpad).

The issue is GND and SCLK are shorted on MiniProg3.

I know to solve this issue i need to remove this shorting.

I think it can be solved only  by removing/replacing any component on MiniProg3.

does Cypress provide services solutions to solve these issues in India?

Thanks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

0 Likes

Hi jagac_4296776,

Please let me know the setup that you are using.

In this screenshot that you have shared, it seems that the power is toggled twice indicating that the device is not getting powered.

1.jpg

Another thing that I noticed is that in the screenshot that you had shared in previous reply you had chosen 5 pin connector and in this screenshot you have chosen 10 pin connector.

Can you please try the following -

1. Connect all 5 pins of MiniProg3 to the 5 pin SWD lines of the device.

2. Power the device using MiniProg3.

3. Ensure that the device is powered and the proper connector is chosen, 5 pin in this case.

4. Use Reset mode to program the device.

Please share the screenshot of the PSoC Programmer log.

Were you able to program with this MiniProg3 before? If yes, when did you start facing the issue?

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi jagac_4296776,

Adding to my previous response:

I was able to reproduce the error by doing the following -

1. Connected PSoC 4 device to an external supply more than 5 V. Around 5.2 to 5.3 V.

2. Disconnected the MiniProg3 while it was programming the device.

I followed these steps to fix the issue -

1. Disconnect MiniProg3.

2. Close and reopen PSoC Programmer.

3. Reduce supply voltage to 4.9 V to 5 V.

I am now able to program the device successfully. Please let me know if this fixes your issue.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes
JaMa_1051561
Level 2
Level 2

Hello RakshithM_16,

I had used this miniProg3 before to program my device. I used to program directly through PSoC creator instead of PSoC programmer. IMG_20191124_093720.jpg

The issue started when the device was externally powered at the same time i connected 5-pin connector inversely.

As i said earlier there is shorting between Gnd and SClk pins. To remove this shorting i removed TVS1 component from MiniProg3 and shorting was removed. i think this component(diode) is for protection purpose.

Please look into the image to find marked area.

can you share datasheet of this component? how do i make it available and from where? Any alternative part no?

Thanks.

Jagdish

0 Likes

Hi jagac_4296776,

The part number for TVS2 diode is PESD5V0L4UG,115. This can be procured from Digikey/Mouser or any such portals.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B