Thread and UART problem in SDK 3.4.0

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have a problem with the source code bellow in SDK 3.4.0. When UART 2 receives a data of 1 byte, the thread calling never stops. I do not if the problem comes from the RTOS or UART lib. However, this source code is working fine in SDK 3.1.2.

Thank you for your help

void application_start(void)

{

wiced_init( );

ring_buffer_init(&rx_buffer, rx_data, RX_BUFFER_SIZE );

wiced_uart_init( WICED_UART_2, &uart_config, &rx_buffer );

wiced_rtos_create_thread( &uart_thread, WICED_DEFAULT_WORKER_PRIORITY, "UART_RX", uart_thread_main, UART_THREAD_STACKSIZE, NULL );

}

void uart_thread_main()

{

char read_data;

uint32_t expected_data_size = 1;

while ( wiced_uart_receive_bytes( WICED_UART_2, &read_data, &expected_data_size, WICED_NEVER_TIMEOUT ) == WICED_SUCCESS )

{

WPRINT_APP_INFO( ( "Thread called. Data : %c", read_data ) );

}

WICED_END_OF_CURRENT_THREAD( );

}

1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The problem was resolved in SDK 3.5.1. "expected_data_size = 1" at the end of the while loop is mandatory.

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

The platform used is the BCM943362WCD4

BR,

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I could not replicate the problem the BCM943362WCD4 and WICED 3.4.0 AWS Ready SDK.

Please can you try with 3.4.0 AWS Ready SDK.

Best Ready,

Ab

0 Likes

Was the problem fixed by trying the AWS release? I'm seeing the same behavior, my UART code in 3.1.2 is working like a charm, but on the new SDK it goes into a loop constant receiving the same value.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The problem was resolved in SDK 3.5.1. "expected_data_size = 1" at the end of the while loop is mandatory.

Regards,

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why? Does that mean wiced_uart_receive_bytes() can return WICED_SUCCESS with

expected_data_size != 1?

0 Likes

Since the length is passed to the function as a pointer, it uses the value stored in the memory location. So the value only works one time.

in platform_uart_receive_bytes it has this line:

*expected_data_size -= transfer_size;

where the expected_data_size  is the pointer to the value passes by the user/developer. Maybe a local copy of the value was better, so that the length value does not need to be reset, but again using this method i think it would be possible to determine how many bytes was actually received if the receive function fails.

So when the function returns the length value will be 0, and if it is not reset before making a new receive call, it will never go into the while loop where is actually receives on the UART. Instead it jumps to the end and returns the result value which is set to PLATFORM_SUCCESS at the start. So you could argue that the handling of a 0 length is not properly implemented.

user_2177781
Level 5
Level 5
25 likes received 10 likes received 5 likes given

Yes, resetting the length variable fixed my issue. Thanks alot

0 Likes