PSOC 6 missing components vs PSOC 5LP

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
HeLi_1220176
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First comment on KBA 5 questions asked

I've been using PSOC 5LP for a years in many projects so was excited to finally use PSOC 6.  Shared memory between two CPUS and floating point from M4 seem like could be very useful!

However I was extremely disappointed by some changes.  Namely I have no idea why the low cost dev kit WIFI BT using Modbus instead of Psoc creator - if I wanted to use eclipse then I'd prob just stick with a lower cost STM.

Anyway, the experience wasn't great but I could create a PSOC 6 project in creator for PSOC 62.  But when I checked out the Components, most of the PSOC5LP components are missing.  For example we use the 32bit UDB shift register all the time.  Is there a reason this is missing?

USBFS is way less intuitive than PSOC 5LP and the easy USB CDC Serial is missing.  Are these coming back?

Finally the Bootable component is also missing - I assume bootloaders are available but why are they missing from the Component Catalog?

PSOC 6 has been out a year - when will it reach parity to replace PSOC 5LP?

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

HeLi,

I've attached a PSoC6 project with a 32-bit simple shift register implemented two ways:

• Logic Gate (as shown in the previous post).
  • Verilog component.

Hope this helps.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9

HeLi,

I agree that in some ways the PSoC6 is less evolved than the PSoC5LP.  It would appear to me to be a relatively simple manner to export at least some of the components used on the PSoC5LP over to the PSoC6.

In the meantime, there are a few things that you can do.

If you know Verilog, you can create a Verilog HDL program for some of the complex logic state machines.

You can create your own versions of many of the logic functions.  For example, here is a schematic clip of a simple 32-bit Shift Register.  It has no LOAD, STORE or RESET.  They could be added in with some additional logic.

pastedImage_0.png

Len

Len
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9

HeLi,

I've attached a PSoC6 project with a 32-bit simple shift register implemented two ways:

• Logic Gate (as shown in the previous post).
  • Verilog component.

Hope this helps.

Len

Len
0 Likes