how to set wireless bands for different regions (e.g. Japan, Europe)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to configure the wireless bands that are available in different geographic regions. (e.g. Japan, Europe, etc) other than using the Windows location?

I'm using BCM94352HMB.

0 Likes
7 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

I believe david_armour can help.

Note that  the BCM4352 is not one of the products supported here on the community, so you may want to contact your local Broadcom support team as well.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi David,

Although this part is not supported by the Community forum, the Brcm radios are generally configured in a similar method via the API so if you can you explain a little more about what you are trying to configure then I may be able to assist.

Regards

Dave

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dave

The list of allowed WiFi channels differs between countries.  - for example, for 2.4GHz, only channels 1-11 are allowed in NA.  In Europe channels 1-13 are allowed.  In Japan channels 1-14 are allowed.

We're looking for a method to set the channels for these regions independent of the Windows geo setting.

Thanks

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi David,

If this was a WICED design then I'd point you to the following document - Broadcom WLAN Client Utility Command Set Band Edge

However, as I believe you're using a windows laptop then it may be possible to force the country code settings via the network adapter pages or device manager.   There are other mechanisms for overriding the country code for regulatory test purposes but for this you would need a Brcm test driver and this is not available via the forum.

Regards

Dave

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi David

We see the following  Network Adapter Properties for our card but we don't see anything to force the country. Do you know if any of these would work?

Settings (Driver properties => Advanced):

20/40 Coexistance: Auto

40MHz Intolerant: Disabled

802.11h+d: Loose 11h

802.11n Preamble: Auto

Antenna Diversity: Auto

AP Compatibility Mode: Higher Performance

ARP Offload: Enabled

Association Roam Preference: Disabled

Band Preference: None

Bandwidth Capability: 11a:20/40;11bg:20MHz

BeamForming: Enabled

Bluetooth Collaboration: Auto

BSS PLCP Header: Auto (Short/Long)

BT-AMP: Enabled

Disable Bands: None

Disable Upon Wired Connect: Disabled

Fragmentation Threshold: 2346

IBSS 54g(tm) Protection Mode: Auto

IBSS Mode: 802.11a/b Only

Locally Administered MAC Address: Not Present

Minimum Power Consumption: Enabled

Mixed Cell Support: Disabled

NS Offload: Enabled

Power Output: 100%

Priority & VLAN: Priority & VLAN Disabled

Rate (802.11a): Best Rate

Rate (802.11b/g): Best Rate

Roam Tendency: Auto

Roaming Decision: Auto

RTS Threshold: 2347

Short GI: Auto

Wake On Magic Packet: Enabled

Wake On Pattern Match: Enabled

WiFi Rekeying Offload: Enabled

WMM: Auto

WZC IBSS Channel Number: 11(20MHz)

XPress (TM) Technology: Disabled

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi David,

I'm afraid that you do not have a driver capable of manually setting these parameters.   I cannot assist you any further on this.

Regards
Dave

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

For those who got to this page hoping to see how it is done on a supported platform of this forum, this is how you do it in ZentriOS
(the new name of WiConnect).

This is the link directly to the Reference Guide:

WiConnect by ACKme | WiConnect Variables

wlan.region

Abbreviationwl g
Accessget/set

Description

The WLAN region determines the available Wi-Fi channels and sets a limit on Tx power for the module.

The table below shows the permitted channels and Tx power for the different Regions. Note the maximum transmit power for the AMW004, AMW006 and AMW106 modules is 18dBm.

USEUJPROW (Rest of World)
Wi-Fi channels1-111-131-131-13
Transmit power1818 - antenna_gain18 - antenna_gain18

For the eu and jp regions, the variable wlan.tx_power must be set to the maximum power corresponding to the module minus the measured antenna gain.

To set channels used, see wlan.scan.channel_mask.

Arguments

<eu / jp / us / row> 

us

Get example

> get wl g us

Set example

> set wl g eu Set OK 

Zentri (formerly ACKme Networks)