PSoC 5LP DSI and OE for Port Pins

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
IvPa_4102121
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

PSoC 5LP Architecture TRM, p.159, Figure 19-8 shows Mapping of DSI Control Signal to Port Pin Output Enable.

I have a design where an 8 bit Port is used.

Each Port pin should go either to DSI_OE[0] or DSI_OE[1], depending on the value of the corresponding PRT_OE_SEL1, PRT_OE_SEL0 bits.

When using schematics entry, I cannot use 2:1 input multiplexer for DSI_OE[1:0] DSI signals, one for every Port Pin and place all the pins into the same 8 bit Port.

I there a workaround, please ?

In other words, can I somehow instantiate DSI_OE[1:0] DSI output in the schematic and then use software to write to PRT_OE_SEL1 registers.

(Note what I need: There are 8 port pins which must be on a single Port and each of them is controlled either by DSI_OE[0] or DSI_OE[1]. )

Anybody knows the trick ?

Example file attached.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

IvPa,

Thanks for attaching the project.  I have a better understanding.

It is pretty trivial to control the PRT_OE_SEL0 and PRT_OE_SEL1 registers for each pin of the port.  The trick is how to have the Application builder to assign Control Register outputs to DSI_OE[0] through DSI_OE[3] of the port.

I believe I might have a solution for the assignment of the DSI_OE[0] and DSI_OE[1] for port 4.

pastedImage_0.png

You can see I hard-assigned the PadOeMux[0] to the first four bits of the port and PadOeMux[1] to the last four bits of the port.  This forces the Application Builder to assign these as DSI_OE[0] and DSI_OE[1] of Port 4.  You can then write SW to control which DSI_OE gets selected per pin using PRT4_OE_SEL0 and PRT4_OE_SEL1 registers.   You can reassign the PadOeMux assignment shortly after boot and if needed the PadOeMuxes can be set to '0' to disable outputs until you need it.

Question:  In your TopDesign schematic you used Bidirectional digital pins.  Did you intend that when it the pin is OE enabled that it was in a float high, drive low mode?

The schematic I shown above uses the OE directly on the pin and the pins are a STRONG push-pull drive when OE is enabled and input when not enabled.  This eliminates the need for bufoes and many of the Status and Control registers.  Just a thought.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
23 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

ivpa,

I believe that OE consumes extra pin, so only 4 pins with OE are available per port.

Maybe there are other solutions to your goal. Can you describe what is the goal ?

Do you really need pins in Hi-Zin  state?

/odissey1

0 Likes

BoTa,

there are only 4 OEs for any given 8 bit port. However, it should be possible to control that 8 bit port with 2 OEs, because I only need some ports as outputs and some ports as inputs. It is not known in advance which port pins are outputs and which are inputs so it should be flexible. So e.g. OE1 will be used for port pins 0,3,4 and OE2 for port pins 1,2,5,6,7.

0 Likes

IvPa,

If high-speed switching is not required, then changing Pin mode (digital input / output) can be done with software API calls.

/odissey1

0 Likes

Yes, that is the case.

But e.g., how will the Pin 1.3 know that it is connected to the OE1 and Pin 1.5 to the OE2 ?

Register PRT_OE_SEL1, PRT_OE_SEL0 bits will switch between OE1 and OE2 by means of software calls.

But I need to control that OE1 and OE2.

How to draw it in the schematics ?

0 Likes
0 Likes

This is for PSoC 4 and I am using PSoC 5LP.

The other thing is that I want DSI to generate OE1 and OE2 and Register PRT_OE_SEL1, PRT_OE_SEL0 bits to select OE1 or OE2 for every pin in the 8 bit port.

In other words, PSoC 5LP does have 4 OEs but it lacks formal way of using them efficiently.

0 Likes

IvPa,

You can set pin directly to HiZ / StrongDrive (ignore output enable, use regular digital pins)

// Set P3[6] to Digital HI-Z

CyPins_SetPinDriveMode(CYREG_PRT3_PC6, PIN_DM_DG_HIZ);

//Set P3[6] to Strong Drive mode

CyPins_SetPinDriveMode(CYREG_PRT3_PC6, PIN_DM_STRONG);

Or direct API

PINNAME_SetDriveMode(...)

/odissey1

0 Likes

BoTa, thanks.

However, this does not solve my problem as it is too slow.

I really need those two OEs to be mapped statically by means of software and then they are toggled by means of DSI UDBs.

I think the formal method of doing that is not available - if yes, please, correct me.

0 Likes

IvPa,

Do you need OE driven by hardware signal? I believe that only 4 pins with OE per port can be hardware-driven. Each hardware OE connector consumes one extra pin, so 8 pins with  OE are not possible per port.

0 Likes

Yes, I need OE1 and OE2 driven by hardware signals, i.e. by DSI.

Then I need to assign either OE1 or OE2 to 8 pins on a single port (e.g. Port 1) by means of Register PRT_OE_SEL1, PRT_OE_SEL0 bits. That assignemt is done statically by means of software and it is not time critical.

However, OE control is time critical and must be done by HW DSI UDB signals.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

IvPa,

Does it absolutely has  to be a single port?

0 Likes

Yes, it must be in a single port !

0 Likes

Where to send project bundle archive, please ?

0 Likes

IvPa,

You can attach Archive to the post: Edit->Attach (in the lower right corner).

To create archive bundle: (1) Build->Clean; (2) Select project name in Explorer panel->File->Create Archive bundle; (3) in created zip file delete Generated_source folder to reduce archive size.

//odissey1

0 Likes

Lepo,

your interpretation is correct. Please, look into my files which I have attached.

I need a HW solution and I need to somehow route OE1 and OE2 and select one of them by means of PRT_OE_SEL1, PRT_OE_SEL0 bits.

In other words, PSoC 5LP silicon offers excellent 4 OEs, but PSoC Creator does not have a method how to fully use them.

Are there any plans to add that in the future release of PSoC Creator ?

My product is dead without that possibility.

Or I have to decode bit stream bit assignment and generate my own bitstream, brrrr, no way.

0 Likes

Here is an example of what I need. The selection of OE1, OE2 assignment to the actual port pins is done in SW.

PSoC5LP_Arch_Page159a.jpg

0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9

IvPa,

Hi.  Maybe I'm missing the true question here.  Can you draw in TopDesign what you want even if it doesn't compile?

Here's my understanding of what I think you want all on one contiguous port.  This compiles.

pastedImage_0.png

You should be able to change the Control_Reg for some other logic component or routing of an input pin.

Len

Len
0 Likes

You cannot group 8 pins into 1 block if you want to use more than 1 OE signal.

Each port pin must be kept and controlled separately.

There are 4 OEs coming from DSI UDB for each 8 pin port.

So I am using the PSoC 5LP up to its limits but not exceeding them.

I will send you some example of schematics bit later.

0 Likes

IvPa,

I think I understand better.  The errors I receive are probably the errors you receive.

pastedImage_0.png

Error: apr.M0039: IO "Pin_8_bit(4)" cannot be placed into "P0[4]" because it would require more output enable signals than the port has.  Pick a different place for this IO. (App=cydsfit)

Error: apr.M0039: IO "Pin_8_bit(5)" cannot be placed into "P0[5]" because it would require more output enable signals than the port has.  Pick a different place for this IO. (App=cydsfit)

Error: apr.M0039: IO "Pin_8_bit(6)" cannot be placed into "P0[6]" because it would require more output enable signals than the port has.  Pick a different place for this IO. (App=cydsfit)

Error: apr.M0039: IO "Pin_8_bit(7)" cannot be placed into "P0[7]" because it would require more output enable signals than the port has.  Pick a different place for this IO. (App=cydsfit)

Question:  Does your design require that the pins be assigned "Contiguously"?  The only real reason you would need to do that is to simplify controlling the port pins from SW.  If this is not a consideration, you can assign the pins with common OEs across ports.  For example, the following schematic compiles without error.

pastedImage_0.png

Len

Len
0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9

IvPa,

Thanks for attaching the project.  I have a better understanding.

It is pretty trivial to control the PRT_OE_SEL0 and PRT_OE_SEL1 registers for each pin of the port.  The trick is how to have the Application builder to assign Control Register outputs to DSI_OE[0] through DSI_OE[3] of the port.

I believe I might have a solution for the assignment of the DSI_OE[0] and DSI_OE[1] for port 4.

pastedImage_0.png

You can see I hard-assigned the PadOeMux[0] to the first four bits of the port and PadOeMux[1] to the last four bits of the port.  This forces the Application Builder to assign these as DSI_OE[0] and DSI_OE[1] of Port 4.  You can then write SW to control which DSI_OE gets selected per pin using PRT4_OE_SEL0 and PRT4_OE_SEL1 registers.   You can reassign the PadOeMux assignment shortly after boot and if needed the PadOeMuxes can be set to '0' to disable outputs until you need it.

Question:  In your TopDesign schematic you used Bidirectional digital pins.  Did you intend that when it the pin is OE enabled that it was in a float high, drive low mode?

The schematic I shown above uses the OE directly on the pin and the pins are a STRONG push-pull drive when OE is enabled and input when not enabled.  This eliminates the need for bufoes and many of the Status and Control registers.  Just a thought.

Len

Len
0 Likes

Thanks, that looks like a good workaround.

I will use pins as you suggested.

Question: When to use tri-state buffer then (as you recommend to use pin only) ?

0 Likes

IvPa,

It is best to use a tri-state STRONG drive as long as you can guarantee that there is no collision with other tri-state drives on the system.  you have to guarantee that only one drive on the line will be OE active at a time.  Using the tri-state STRONG drive minimizes the rise and fall times of the switched digital signal.  This maximizes the operating frequency allowed.

If your protocol cannot guarantee that the drivers on the line will not collide in time, then using a BIDIRECTIONAL or Drive Low-only might be a good choice.  In this case the fall time is very quick but the rise time is totally dependent on the total bias resistance and the line capacitance.  This increased rise time will limit your maximum operating frequency.  That is why in this configuration, a longer wire length (added line capacitance) lowers the operating frequency.

In either the tri-state or Drive Low-only configuration you should have some pullup on the line to prevent false input triggers in the case that no drive is actively driving at that time.  With tri-state, your pullup can be a higher value.

Len

Len

Thanks all for excellent reply. I can now compile my design and I know the tricks to finalize it!

0 Likes