How does current limiting work on the CY4533 EZ-PD?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PoPr_2735541
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

Hi,

I'm new to USB-C PD in general, apologies in advance for sounding like a total idiot.

Let's say I have an off-the-shelf power bank with USB-C PD, and it has 5V 3A, 9V 2A, 12V 1.5A options as output. If I used the CY4533 to negotiate 12 V, 300 mA, would that work? And if my load exceeded 300 mA, what would happen? Does the power bank handle the overcurrent or the CY4533 EZ-PD?

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Let's say I have an off-the-shelf power bank with USB-C PD, and it has 5V 3A, 9V 2A, 12V 1.5A options as output. If I used the CY4533 to negotiate 12 V, 300 mA, would that work?

Yes, it should work.

And if my load exceeded 300 mA, what would happen? Does the power bank handle the overcurrent or the CY4533 EZ-PD?

Ideally, the power bank is supposed to detect the overcurrent and act. CY4533 is not going to monitor current. It will monitor the incoming voltage and can raise an over-voltage flag, but not over-current.

Regards,

Rajath

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Let's say I have an off-the-shelf power bank with USB-C PD, and it has 5V 3A, 9V 2A, 12V 1.5A options as output. If I used the CY4533 to negotiate 12 V, 300 mA, would that work?

Yes, it should work.

And if my load exceeded 300 mA, what would happen? Does the power bank handle the overcurrent or the CY4533 EZ-PD?

Ideally, the power bank is supposed to detect the overcurrent and act. CY4533 is not going to monitor current. It will monitor the incoming voltage and can raise an over-voltage flag, but not over-current.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

Thanks for the clarification!

0 Likes