Is it possible to add a new Characteristic programmatically?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KeCo_3781066
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 questions asked 5 sign-ins

I have a device that has a fixed stack bootloader so to retain OTA compatibility I need to add code in my bootloadable to add a new Report In HID characteristic and modify the report map.  Is this possible?  Is so could someone point me in the direction of the correct functions or an example?

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
GeonaP_26
250 solutions authored 100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored

In Fixed stack OTA architecture, developer cannot modify GATT profile structure in run-time. The profile, service and characteristic definitions are all fixed during project building process in bootloader project. To add more services and update BLE component please refer to sections: Adding Services and Updating BLE component to other version in attached code example document.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
GeonaP_26
250 solutions authored 100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored

In Fixed stack OTA architecture, developer cannot modify GATT profile structure in run-time. The profile, service and characteristic definitions are all fixed during project building process in bootloader project. To add more services and update BLE component please refer to sections: Adding Services and Updating BLE component to other version in attached code example document.

0 Likes

Thanks for the details.  I assume adding services to a bootloader would break OTA compatibility for the bootloadable?

0 Likes

The bootloadable starting address, GATT table structure etc., would vary. Hence the user needs to re-compile the bootloadable project with latest bootloader dependencies to ensure compatibility.

0 Likes